Time's a weird thing. On the one hand, it seems like Dexter has been a part of our lives for much much longer than four months. And yet on the other hand, it doesn't seem like all that long ago that I was riding my sweet Frazier at Susquehanna State Park, enjoying him for the last time before I sold him. So, you know, I could get pregnant and have a baby and stuff.
I was reading some of my old blog entries the other night, and was amazed at what I had written just two months ago. First of all - my boy used to be THAT SMALL? And that funny looking? And also, what's this whole getting up in the middle of the night to nurse a baby thing? And he used to only be 12 pounds? Really? It seems like he's been in the 14 pound bracket for ages.
It's funny how the new normal replaces the old normal so quickly. Now, if the baby cries at the end of a nap there's something wrong. And if he cries at the beginning of a nap there's really something wrong - like Mom kept him up too long. Wake in the middle of the night? Unheard of! Not able to suck his thumb? That's insane. What? We used to not swaddle the boy? What were we thinking!
I know this child so very well, and yet every time I think I know him like the back of my hand, he goes and changes. Or maybe I just don't know the back of my hand as well as I think.
I am proud of me. It's been at least a week since I've picked up and read one of the "How to Make Your Baby the Smartest, Cutest, Most Well-Rested Baby in the Universe" books. I was reading them constantly, and stressing. This week? I'm reading about the guy and the dog he had to put down, and the guy who studies wolves. And did you know that Matthew McConneghy has a daughter, and he's not married to his baby Mama? You, too, can read that in old issues of People Magazine that are passed down from nice, kind, loving friends. It's been a good week. And (coincidence?) a week where the baby has decided that, hey, longer naps are good, thankyouverymuch.
I was cracking myself up today, actually, responding to someone on a "How do I make my baby brilliant and get him to sleep forever and ever and ever amen" list serve. She was wondering how to move her baby to a four hour feeding schedule. And my response? Is what you're doing working? If you're happy, and your baby is happy, roll with it. To hell with what the book says. Books stress you out. And then? I giggled. Because? Hi, Pot. I am Kettle. Pleased to meet you!
I am sure my less stressed attitude will last about three more seconds, and then I will get back to being me again. But for now? I am enjoying this cute four month old baby even more.
So, on his four month birthday little Dexter has a cold. Poor kid. He's still in good spirits. Just sporting a runny nose. I was sick yesterday, too. So we all slept a lot yesterday.
My last four month thought. It saddens me a bit that on the same day of the month that I celebrate my son being born, our friends mourn the loss of their little girl (she passed away on August 30). It's not quite fair, is it? But, knowing those friends and how much they kick ass, they would not want me to be sad. So - Happy May 30th! Go out and celebrate. No stressing. Just go out and have fun today.
The many faces of a four month old child:
No comments:
Post a Comment