Thursday, May 14, 2009

Things I've Gotta Write Down Before I Forget

I've always been like that. I can't remember a darn thing without writing it down. In college, I'd re-write my notes to study for a test because writing things down made me remember. Now I just write stuff on the back of my hand. One day they will discover that pen ink causes cancer or something, and my left hand will fall off...

Anyway, as I am not keeping a baby book of any kind, this is kind of my baby book. So I need to write some things down before I forget. And then we'll just hope that the internets don't spontaneously explode, deleting any and all baby memories I have. Such as:

Over the weekend Dex was staying in our room, where we have a full length mirror. I was holding him and stepped in front of the mirror. And smiled. And he was so cute - smiled right back at me, in the mirror.

A few weeks ago nursing got lots better and less painful for me when I decided to stop trying to hold Dexter's head to my boob, but rather just lay him on my arm and let him figure it out. He is surprisingly good at figuring it out. It's almost like he's been nursing for three months. Or something.

Nursing, however, takes FOREVER these days. Mr. ADD Child will nurse a bit, then look up at me and grin. Nurse a little more, look up and giggle. Nurse a little more, freak out because Dad sneezed. Good lord, child. How about you just EAT?

Dexter is becoming more tolerant of tummy time. He'll go a good five minutes before screaming his head off. No more rolling over yet. But we practice, so I am sure he will do it again on his own, all in good time.

** As I am writing this post in stages today... This afternoon I gave Dex a bath, rolled him over on his tummy, and watched him roll himself right back. Woo-hoo! Two weeks later, we've figured it out again!

I tried a suggestion from my friend Michelle to try letting Dex fall asleep on his back, then roll him over to his tummy to see if that would extend his naps. The result, both times? He'd wake up at 30 minutes, pop his little head up, look around, and... immediately start screaming. Experiment failed! :-)

Yesterday's long napping was a complete fluke of nature. Today we are back to our predictable 30 minute naps. Actually, I do believe it was because he was going through a growth spurt on Tuesday and Wednesday. And all that growing tired him out. We'll see today at lactation group how much he grew.

** Insane amounts. On Tuesday he had gained 4.2 oz in 7 days. Today he had gained 3.5 oz in TWO days. He's up to 14 lbs 11 oz.

My mom said that at three months my sister and I both weighed over 15 pounds. What were you feeding us, Mom? Prime Rib?

Dex has been drooling like mad and chomping on anything he can get in his mouth. Pre-teething? Just drool? How do I know the difference?

In the "Holy Shit, That Worked?" category today - Dex just woke up after 30 minutes. I got him up, held him, sang his going to bed song (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, as it's the only song I know the words to...) and put him back down. And... he went back to sleep. Holy Shit! Similar things happened last week, but I actually got him up, played a little, changed his diaper, read, sang, and then put him back down. If this shortened version works, too, though - I'm all over it!

I own pre-pregnancy pants that still fit me! Hooray!! Now SHIRTS. That's a different story. I currently don't have much beyond tee shirts that will fit over my ginormous rack. So Dex and I need to do some shopping today, as I need something decent to wear to Preakness on Saturday. Yes - Preakness! I am working on Friday and Saturday at the track. Go, filly power! And I like the little horse who won the Derby, too. He and his trainer seem like laid-back kind of folks.

I bought a plane ticket to California!! :-) My cute friend Cristin is getting married in June. John and Dex are invited, too, but I am going solo. A break will be nice. Plus I didn't really want Dexter's first overnight trip to be on a plane to San Francisco. He probably would be fine. I would be a bit of a mess.

Carole (John's Mom) saves the day in my grumbling about not having any pictures of Dex and I on Mother's Day. Giving Carole a new camera was a good thing, we think. We always have LOTS and LOTS of photos from family gatherings! Although we may have created a bit of a monster, with Ms. Shutterbug.

No comments: