Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 13, Or Something. I Underestimated.

We seem to be back on the wagon with our challenge. The no sweets part was easy this week. Made easier when you don't really feel like eating. And I just finished Jillian for that we'll call Day 13. Sure. Let's go with that.

I've been wrong about a few thing the past couple days. Not entirely wrong. I just... UNDERESTIMATED a few things:

1) I underestimated how loud carpet installation would be yesterday. Silly me thought I'd just put Dex in the basement to take his morning nap. No problem. Except that the entire house shook with the noise. For an hour and a half. Morning nap? Poof! Gone.

2) I underestimated what kind of sleeping environment Dex needed to sleep in, when he's really tired. I put him in his pack-n-play in the basement to play for a while, so I could vacuum the seven billion bags of fuzz off his carpet. When I went down 45 minutes later - sound asleep, amidst all his toys, with his head facing right out toward the sliding door, blinds wide open, sun shining bright. Guess he was tired.

3) I underestimated the effect that weaning would have on the baby. At least I think that might be his problem. He's been RIDICULOUSLY clingy and whiny the past week and a half. I know, he's been sick. But hey - he's been better for a few days, and still the whining. I discovered, just today, really, the power of the hug. So instead of taking him from his high chair and plopping him on the floor, I sit on the floor for a minute, give him a hug, and let him wander away when he's ready. Sure, the dishes have to sit dirty for a minute. But it's completely worth it to have a happy baby. I've underestimated the power of a hug, many many times in my life.

4) I constantly underestimate the cognitive and physical abilities of the baby. I've helped him put stars on his star tower a billion times. Today, easy as pie, he put the stars on the tower all by himself. No problem! I about fell out of my chair. Last night he walked from John over to me at the sink. I didn't catch him - he just grabbed the cabinet, turned around, and walked back to John. This morning we were in his room and I stood him up, pointed him in the right direction, and told him to walk to the window. Over he tottered. He stood there looking out at the school bus in the parking lot for a while, and then I told him to walk to Mama. AND - he turned around, let go of the window, and walked right on over! He cracks me right up, what with his flailing arms, drunken walk, and HUGE grin. He tends to cackle when walking - a kind of a "Look at me! I kick ass!" kind of cackle. Over the weekend, he easily put shapes in the shape sorter at Grandma's house. He knows that his shoes go on his feet. He knows that a hat goes on his head. He's an amazing little specimen of a human being.

OK, let me save this for now. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of Dex today at My Gym, and then I'll post this, with a picture, later tonight.

Oh! New carpet looks good. Actually, it looks the same as the other carpet, just not stained.
Waiting for me to bounce the trampoline for him

Cute

My camera was too slow to do it justice, but what you're seeing is the tail end of Dex walking on his own, from me to these here stairs.

1 comment:

ARGZ BLOGZ said...

He is so heartbreakingly cute! And walking on his own! Go Dex!!!

Sending all sorts of positive thoughts your way as you navigate this huge transition!

Hugs,
Amy