When you're immersed in the hunter/jumper world, or even dabbling in the eventing world, you tend to look down your nose a bit at the Arabian horse breed. Why? Cuz they move funny. And are flighty. And jump HORRIFICALLY. And they're little. And they're Arabians. Nuff said.
But Sunday I went to the barn to ride a friend's spotted horse (appropriately named SPOT), and she said "here, ride Max, too, while you're here." Max is the Arabian endurance horse she has at the barn right now. He just did a 50 mile ride at Foxcatcher last week. Is going to North Carolina to do 75 miles this week. So I hopped on Max, not expecting much. Because, you know, he's an Arabian. And? He. Is. Way. Cool.
Shocked! Shocked, I was! I kept giggling when I saw my shadow because 1) he is not large, and I am not small and 2) his little Arabian tail was just flipping around in the sky, 12 feet above his back. But seriously. What a cool horse. Smart. Responsive. Doesn't feel like a small horse. Just generally fun fun fun.
And today I am sore. Riding two horses in one day is a lot of work for these out of shape legs.
We enjoyed the summer weather here in Maryland - spread mulch, washed car, waxed car (these are all things JOHN did...), walked on the promenade and got hush puppies at the Promenade Grill, took Dexter for a walk in the billion degree heat. A nice weekend.
And now a little photo story from Dexter:
No comments:
Post a Comment