Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Remembering the good old days...

Ah, it seems like only yesterday when we had a baby who would reliably eat, poop, and go back to sleep for a couple hours... Oh, wait. That WAS yesterday. Dex, I think, decided we were a bit too cocky about our fabulous parenting skills and threw us for a loop last night. His mind was working something like this: "Must have boob, must have boob, must have boob. Ahhh. Boob. Now must fall asleep while eating. Wait. Back in my crib, asleep for five minutes? Terrible!! Scream! Cry! Whine! Make silly people pick me up and walk around the house with me for an hour! And, finally, sleep..." Bless John's heart for taking "walking Dex duty" so I could get some sleep.

We seem to have our little boy back, for now. We were about to have another non-sleeping episode this morning after the doctor, but heaven sent us Larysa and Pete's swing, which worked wonders.

Dex absolutely knows how to eat. His weight yesterday with the at-home nurse was 8lbs 3oz. Only one oz under birth weight. And today at the doctor? 8lbs 6oz. He is HUGE! They were shocked a bit at the doctor's office, I think. Perhaps I don't need to let him eat for an hour at a time...

My milk has come in with a vengeance. Reactions to this development depend on what family member you ask:
Alissa: OUCH!
Dex: YUM!
John: D-D-D-DAMN!
CoCo: That's nice, Mom. How about you rub my belly?

We've had part of the Red Army over on Monday and Tuesday to meet Dex. Way too cute. I thought perhaps I had traumatized Natasha for life by breast feeding in front of her on Monday. But she was intrigued enough to come back on Tuesday with Nadia. And both girls asked about breast feeding, and wanted to pet Dex's head, and put his hat on, and pick out a new outfit for him. They were cute. Christie says that Nadia is now walking around the house with a swaddled baby doll, and a burp cloth on her shoulder. She'll make an excellent Momma!

CoCo and Dex are working on becoming friends. Dex still has no idea that CoCo exists, and CoCo for the most part ignores Dex. So we're living in perfect harmony... But last night CoCo sniffed Dex a few times while he was laying on John's stomach. She's a bit curious. So, some time perhaps a truce will be made.

Thank you all for your well wishes. We're doing absolutely great. And I never knew that one could waste so much of a day just looking at a baby. I mean, it's not like he does anything. Why is he so captivating? I don't know why, but he's stolen our hearts. All y'all told us that life would never be the same after we had a baby. And we're so glad that you all were right!

1 comment:

Gary said...

Gee you talk about Dex like he is a typical MALE!!!!!...sounds like you 2 are getting things in order and I am sure Dex will settle in. I am sure Dex (Rocky...have not heard any reference to that in here)has stolen all your family members hearts as has my grandson...take care Alissa and talk to when I get back...