Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's the Little Things

I love you, always, because you're my boy. But it's the little things you do that make me smile and love you all the more.

I love how you'll be busy playing with something, then will look up, see me smiling at you, and break in to your big old gummy grin.

I love how, when you're nursing, every other part of your body can be still but you still have at least one leg moving. You're like your mom - your leg must always be in action. Always.

I love how you are so delighted when you get to stand up, and I love your little Frankenstein walk. I know I'll be regretting loving your walk when that walk turns in to an actual, unassisted walk, and eventually in to a full-out gallop. But for now - hella cute.

I love that one little little quacking duck toy makes you giggle. Right before you shove the duck's bill in to your mouth.

I love that you reach up with one arm while nursing to feel my nose, and my hair, and my chin, and my mouth. I am not a big fan of you exploring my eye sockets, however.

I love it when you grab my finger, or your dad's finger, and look at it for a second, as if saying "huh, what should I do with this?" And then you vehemently shove the finger in to your mouth, almost as if it's a piece of steak and you haven't eaten in years.

I love your little feet. Ridiculous. I love your little curling toes. And I love how you shove those toes right in to your mouth.

I love your endless fascination with the dog. No matter what you're doing, the dog walking by makes you happy.

I love that you continue to humor your dad by laughing at his "dancing pants" routine.

I love your little pterodactyl-like screeches when you are happily singing to yourself. You shall be the next Adam Lambert if you keep that up.

I love it when you're out watching cars and a particularly loud car, or a car playing loud music goes by, and your arms go out to the side and get all flaily and your face gets this big shocked "what the F was THAT?" look on it.

I love that you giggle every time I put you down for a nap and sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to you. Is my singing really so terrible that you have to laugh at it?

I love that your new sleeping position so closely resembles mine - one arm under your body, one arm up by your mouth, one leg straight, one leg bent to keep you from going all the way over on your belly. Every time I see you like that I just think "Yep, that's my boy."

I love the new sucking of the bottom lip thing that you're doing these days, that kind of makes you look like an old guy who has lost his dentures. Although I hope you don't do it forever. It's all cute now, but in a couple years it'll just look weird.

I love how you smile every time we step in front of my full-length mirror. As if you can recognize how damn cute you really are.

I love the Texas Longhorn finger suck thing that you do sometimes. Too bad you are destined to be a Hokie.

No comments: