Friday, February 17, 2012

Number Two

It took countless hours on the potty (COUNTLESS), half a container of prunes, and some laxative.  But finally Dexter went poopy on the potty on Wednesday.  And again Wednesday evening.  And again Thursday.  And again today.  So I think (crossing fingers and knocking on wood) that we might just have a potty trained child here.

That was fairly painless.  I mean, you wouldn't have wanted to ask me that question on Wednesday when I spent hour after hour sitting in the bathroom, laying down on the bathroom floor, stubbornly waiting for some goddamn poop to exit one small child's butt.  That was not painless.  But all in all, not so bad.  We'll see what happens when we have to drive longer than 45 minutes in the car, though.  I may need to look for a portable potty to take in the car with us.

We went to the allergist in Exton on Monday and Dexter peed on the potty at the doctor's office, and again in Ruby Tuesday.  Oh, funny story.  We were being seated in Ruby Tuesday and Dexter said "But today is MONDAY."  Yes.  Yes, I know, honey, but they don't have a Ruby Monday here.  So we're going to eat at Ruby Tuesday, ok?

In other news, Dexter went for his 3 year well visit today.  His nurse was mildly shocked when I told her about his Autism diagnosis.  He passed all his developmental questions and milestones that she asked me, and she just couldn't believe there was anything wrong with him.  So - don't trust your pediatrician's office to give you an autism screening...  Anyway, Dexter is almost 36 pounds - he gained 3.5 pounds since his visit last year.  And he's 3 feet, 4.5 inches tall.  Like 3.5 inches taller than last year.  He was a champ during his exam, as I told him if he was good he could have a lollipop after the doctor.  Thank the lord for lollipops.  And then we went out to lunch to have some Mexican.  Dexter had chicken fingers.  And some rice.

Yesterday at nap time Dex told me "I am getting too big for my crib."  Which... is kind of true.  But, oh, man, it totally broke my heart a little bit.  Because MY BABY.  SO BIG.  So we had a little chat.  Do you want a bigger bed?  "Yes.  We can go to the crib store and buy a bigger crib."  Well, kiddo, they don't make bigger cribs.  We can get you a bigger bed, but it won't have sides, and you'll be able to get in and out of it, but you'll need to stay in bed.  Maybe I didn't quite explain myself correctly, because he said "We can just use this crib."  OK.  OK, little man.  I'd prefer to keep you in your crib til you're, oh, 18 or so.  Cool?

Peek-a-boo.  I see you.  Pooping.

Upping the ante today - pooping with balloons.  Also, thank heaven for books that read themselves.  This Lightning McQueen book from Nonna and Grandpa is the go-to poopy book.  Otherwise we'd have to be in there reading books to him the whole time.  This?  MUCH better option.

No comments: