Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Clean and Dry

I'm typing in the kitchen, with the monitor on as Dex plays in his room to listen in case he lets out a "Mama, I went pee!" yell, in which case I sprint up the stairs to empty the pee out of his potty before he tries to.  Because he's tried to before.  It's... not pretty.

Anyway, he's been playing with his dinosaur flashlight, which roars when you turn it on, and then says, "Are you scared?"  To which Dexter answers, "I was not scared."  Every time the flashlight asks, he has the same answer prepped.  That's my predictable boy.

I'm sending Daddy up to get him out of his room, because I am a little frightened to find out what might be in his underwear right now.  An hour.  By himself.  In his room.  Wearing underwear.  Bad, bad things might happen. I don't even wanna look.

Anyway, Monday afternoon Dexter officially became a kid and started wearing underwear.  Our mantra, repeated over and over and over again throughout the day is, "Are you clean and dry?"  And if he is, he gets an M&M.  Needless to say, M&M's are on the Wal-Mart shopping list for tomorrow.  Which is a good thing.  I'm glad he's eating a lot of M&M's.  He had one accident yesterday at school, and one today when he really tried to get to the potty but just didn't make it in time.  And whatever horrors might be in his pants right now.  So, really, not too bad.

(note - no poopy in his underwear as I had feared.  But I did get the "Mama I went pee" call and ran up to some pee in the potty - and kind of a lot on the floor.  Damn boys.  It's tough getting that pee in when you have to sit down.)

I was suffering from cooking hangover the beginning of this week, after two weeks of cooking dinners for guests, cooking big breakfasts, making eight billion cakes and cupcakes, mixing countless batches of frosting (HINT - buttercream frosting is eight million times better if you go half and half, butter and cream cheese.  YUM!), and making Super Bowl snacks on Sunday.  I was all done with cooking.  I'm still not enthused about it, but the leftovers are getting slim (except for the cheese dip.  No worries.  We have plenty of cheese dip.  Yesterday for dinner I had pepperoni dipped in cheese dip.  I highly recommend it).  So there's some Primal chicken nuggets in the oven right now, which smell delish, and I think I might heat up some lima beans for Dexter to eat.  Because he is a freak and LOVES them.  Seriously.  What normal person loves lima beans??

Here's some pictures from last weekend, when the Normans came to visit and celebrate Dexter's birthday.  The NYC family members were happy that the Giants won the Super Bowl.  And they decorated another train cake with ALL the candy we had leftover from the first train cake.  So, this cake has lots and lots and lots of candy, and it was super yummy.  Even made with gluten-free flour, it was fantastic.

Well-decorated cake

Dexter invented a new game of "train" in which he is the engine and everyone else is a tender or a car.  Uncle Steven and Aunt Christy got roped in to this round of Train.  Dex is getting WAY too fast to chase around the house, man.

Also played a few cut-throat games of Chutes and Ladders with Aunt Christy

Miracle of all miracles, Dexter finally started playing with the remotes to his trains.  All by himself, no screaming at all.

Happy Birthday, little man!

Super Bowl lounging.  No idea who he was cheering for this time around, but he  knew which team was the Giants.

Since we're working on Clean and Dry, we're pretty much hanging out at home a lot.  So we're doing a whole lot of this.

And this - Dex loves his bag for school

And this - running with home-made bead necklace, back pack,  giggling at the duck quacking and the snake hissing.  All in all, not a bad way to spend an afternoon.  Clean.  And Dry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW I knew there was something Dex and I had in common...THE LOVE OF LIMA BEANS!!!!!...A you still have that great writing quality I still enjoy reading....Call me when you get a chance but not at AAI....not there anymore...Gary