Anyway, today I ran with Buddy and Dexter, using our new jogging stroller. It's not really new - I picked it up at the consignment sale a few weeks ago. But it's new to us, and it's cool. Dex seems to like it - when given the choice between stroller and back pack, he chooses "oooh-eerh."
So I ran like six one minute intervals, and I TOTALLY left the dog in the dust. After dragging him along for two intervals I finally gave up and dropped the leash. A few looks over the shoulder saw him trotting along at his normal pace, right on the side of the road, keeping us in sight. When I walked he would catch up, and then we'd leave him in the dust again. It's not a perfect system - it all goes to pot if someone is walking, or if there's a dog in a yard. But it works ok.
I finished my intervals and walked the last five minutes home. Dex had been chatting to himself this whole time, but I was trying too hard to breathe to really pay much attention. So as we walked he kept repeating something. "Go" and then some word I couldn't make out. I stared the guessing game. John likens it to a game of toddler charades. Green mailbox? I ask. Is that what you said? No. Again, the "go" and the word I can't understand. Finally I guessed "go faster?" YES. Oh, dear lord, child. Sorry, hon. Mama can't go faster any more. Mama's legs fell off a while ago, and she is dragging her lungs behind her just like she dragged Buddy. But, glad you enjoyed the running!
We enjoyed a nice little taste of summer today. Here's a few pictures of the boys playing in the back yard. Oh - Buddy escaped through the fence yesterday - down the driveway to say hi to a dog in the road. So we cranked up the fence, made sure he got zapped, and it seems like we have a dog who will stay put again. For now. Rotten, slow creature. Good thing he's fantastic with children.
Climbing Buddy Mountain
You can hear Buddy saying "Psssst. I like sticks..."
I love that both boys like sticks. I love that they enjoy running all over the yard with sticks. I don't enjoy the fact that one day Buddy is going to accidentally bite Dexter's arm off. Not sure what to do about that...
On the to-do list? Mowing the lawn.
This one's actually from yesterday. But still cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment