Tuesday, October 6, 2009

You can't beat the real thing

I have a Cheerios Snob on my hands.

Dexter loves Cheerios. He gets excited when the big yellow box comes out of the pantry. He shovels 27 of them in his mouth at once, gags, spits out the half-gummed, spitty Cheerios, and shoves in another handful. He loves them.

Last week I bought knock-off Cheerios. Great Value toasted oat cereal, or something to that effect. I brought it home and John shook his head sadly. He said there was no way I could pass off fake Cheerios to the baby. He recounted the time his dad tried to do the same thing, even going so far as to put the fake Cheerios in to the real Cheerios box (that he apparently kept around for the sole purpose of tricking his children). To which I said "pshaw." He's a baby. He's not going to know the difference. Plus, look! They look like real Cheerios! They taste just as crappy as real Cheerios! It'll be fine.

Except... I was wrong. (I am now picturing John's jaw dropping to the ground in amazement. And him bookmarking this page on his computer so he can forever remember the day that his wife admitted she was wrong) OK, so maybe the Great Value brand doesn't taste EXACTLY like Cheerios. And they are somehow... CRUNCHIER. Or something. Don't melt in your mouth quite as easily. Even after I left them out on the table, opened, overnight a couple times in hopes that they would get stale and soft. Too hard. Whatever the reason, Dex hated them. Would put a couple in his mouth and gag. Try again, and gag. And then just stop trying.

So, I caved. I spent the extra 30 cents and bought some real Cheerios today. And gave them to Dexter at dinner time. And had to give him some more. And some more. And some more, again. He was making up for lost Cheerios time, I believe.

So now I have an enormous box of Cheerios, a happy baby, and half a box of Great Value brand fake Cheerios. Which John promised he would eat. I don't even have to put them in a big yellow Cheerios box for him.
Both kids went out in the yard to play today

I am, apparently, a jungle gym

Crawling across the grass is hard work. Also, leaves a plethora of stains on knees for Mom to try to get out. Just bought Oxy-Clean

Thank the lord for the fence. Our next house shall also have a fence, thankyouverymuch. With padlocks on the gates.

Sexy. You'll pick up all the ladies that way, Dex.

1 comment:

John said...

At least the knock-off Cheerios you got looked like the real deal. The knock-offs my dad bought were the size of hubcaps.

And yes, this page has been bookmarked for future use.