Thursday, October 22, 2009

Perspective

We just started swimming lessons again, at Kids First in Elkton. We did a session over the summer, then skipped a session, and now we're back on. So I was thinking about it today when I was driving home. 12 weeks ago was our first swimming lesson. 12 weeks ago Dexter could not be trusted to sit up on his own. 12 weeks ago I would nurse one side before swimming, then the other side after. 12 weeks ago I could just lay the baby on the ground and not worry about him crawling over to pull a night light out of a socket. Ah, how things have changed!

Now, at the start of this swimming session, I have a crawling baby who pulls himself up on flimsy plastic chairs in the waiting room. I still nurse before our lesson, but then after we go to the Elkton Diner so Dex can throw Cheerios and cheese and bananas on their floor and I can eat a bacon and grilled cheese sandwich (OMG AMAZING! Seriously. I never knew what I was missing all these years!). Now I thank heavens there's not a lot he can get in to in the 3 foot square changing room. Perhaps I can just lock him in there for good?

Regardless, Dex still LOVES swimming. He remembered how to splash (with a bit more vigor, and I think he was surprised when water splashed right in to his face). He remembered how to "blow bubbles" or in his case, just eat water. And he remembered that sitting on the wall and then jumping in the pool is wicked fun. I remembered that the salt water pool makes my skin feel all dried out and gross.

The other thing I just started yesterday is an online class about how to take better pictures of people. So I will be taking lots (more) pictures of people(AKA, Dexter). Here's a few from this morning (we're supposed to just take a few pictures inside and outside, think about the composition of the photo, and discuss how lighting just completely messes up your life).
Completely un-edited. Inside, with flash, and with light coming in through the door behind Dexter. Lighting seems ok. Composition? OK. Could be a little tighter on the baby, I suppose, getting in less of the plastic mat on the ground.

Again, un-edited. I feel like it maybe could be brighter. But I always feel that way with this laptop, so maybe that's the problem. Composition is good, I think. I need to tell myself every photo to NOT center the subject. It's hard to remember to do, though. Centering is so natural.

Also notice the very nice self-feeding Dexter is doing with his spoon. He self-feeds his yogurt right on the the floor, the dog's back, his ear, and his nose before the spoon finally finds its way in to his mouth.

OK, I cheated. This is yesterday, not today. Outside, in the shade. No flash. I think it was in sport mode here, so super fast shutter speed, and it was a dark photo that looked much better after I edited it.

Notice baby who looks like he is up to no good. I do believe this is really him just grinding his teeth. Awesome. Maybe they will stop being so damn sharp.

Same location, but on portrait setting or auto setting. I can't remember which. No editing needed.

Also, sorry, CoCo. You're a trooper. But, you know, you still can move faster than the baby, for now. So I don't feel too sorry for you yet.

1 comment:

Dr. Larysa Nadolny said...

Why do you need a photography class? Your photos are awesome!!!!!

We are starting solids (more like liquidy mush) today with Annabel - wow, how time does fly!