Monday, March 2, 2009

A Week of Firsts

Been a busy week for me. I've been doing and learning all kinds of new things!

1) My first trip to Home Depot! I apparently was so cute, though, that they threw me out after mere seconds. (Or, Home Depot doesn't understand that FEBRUARY is still WINTER. And why on earth would anyone want to have something like, oh, HEAT in winter? Therefore, anyone staying in our basement will be cold, because is is apparently no longer "space heater season." Here - go mow your completely brown lawn instead, because Home Depot has lawn mowers!)

2) I saw my belly button! (Yeah, Mom is a habitual scab picker. So when I saw that it was really just hanging on by a thread, I ripped that bad old umbilical cord right off. Poor John was jealous. He said "You get to do all the fun stuff!" Eat your heart out, baby. When my fun consists of belly button discovery and you're jealous? Something's wrong...)

3) I went out to lunch! (The boys at my old job took me out to lunch. And the nice man at Roma's was terribly cute. Dex was sleeping by the table, and the waiter was OH SO QUIETLY removing dirty dishes from the table. Don't wake the baby! Very cute.)

4) I went to work! (Were I smart I'd have taken a picture of all the ladies at work gathered around the car seat carrier giggling at Dex. Why were they giggling? Because his face was suddenly, tremendously, red. Whatcha doing there, boy? Making a little poopy? Who wants to hold the baby now?)

5) I rode in Dad's car! (How has the boy NOT ridden in John's car yet? Also, the very cutest people at the big consignment sale last night were John, with Dex in his Snuggly. And the biggest purchaser of tons of baby stuff was Dexter's mom... Too bad Grandma wasn't here, though, Dex! She'd have gone to town!)

6) I stayed home alone! (Yep! Just like McCauley Caulken in the movie. Dex stayed home, put aftershave on his face, and thwarted bad guys who were trying to rob the house. He wasn't entirely alone, though. We left CoCo here. We figured she's old enough to babysit while we go to the mall and go out to lunch. Ok, ok. Stop calling social services on us! Nonna and Granpa were here, too.)

7) I ate out of a bottle! (Also Known As: WOO-HOO!! Mom freedom!! Although, truthfully, I was a little sad. My little boy doesn't need me around all the time any more. He's getting to be all grown up. But, Dex rocked the bottle feeding. We need to find a slower nipple, though. Who'd have thought that any nipple could be faster than the fire hydrants I have for breasts?)

8) I had a bath! (Lest you think that the boy has just been stinking up the house for four weeks... What Dex means is that now that his umbilical cord fell off, he could have a REAL bath, in his bath tub. To hell with that silly sponge bath on the kitchen counter crap - we're living large now! It was ridiculously easier than I had imagined. And the hose attachment in the kitchen sink rocks for rinsing!)

9) I turned one month old! (Although he gets the shaft on this one, as February doesn't HAVE 30 days. So we'll pretend that March 1 is his one month birthday. It's close enough. He won't know the difference.)

10) My first real snow! (AKA, PANIC! The entire state is shut down! Five inches of snow! Do we have our milk and bread?)

No comments: