Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Most Amazing Thing

Every Wednesday this school year, or at least since December or so when Dexter lost his everloving mind for a while, I have come downstairs and hopefully looked out the window.  Hoping for clouds.  Rain.  Fog.  Snow.  Anything to cover up the sun.  Anything to keep the "wiggly sun spots" from appearing during swimming lessons.  Anything to help make things just a little bit easier for my boy.

I don't know why those sun spots were the cause of such fear and consternation.  I do know they caused some tears.  Screaming.  Non-participation in swimming lessons.  I tried logic.  I tried brute force.  I tried re-creating sun spots at home to get him used to them.  I tried bribes with peanut butter cups.  The last option was the most successful, but the only thing that really made swimming lessons tolerable was summer, and the sun being higher in the sky when we were there, and therefore not creating those nasty old sun spots.

And then we got a pink swimming pool.  And sat it under the awning.  And guess what was on the awning, right over Dexter's head?  And guess what caused him absolutely no fear or consternation at all?

Can you see the sun spots on his shirt and ON HIS FACE?


Sigh.  This boy.  He is a puzzle.  I wish I knew how his great big brain worked.  His teacher is convinced that he simply tolerates all the less intelligent people in the world.  He is smart, and he knows he is smart, and he knows the right answers and exactly what to say in certain situations.  Because he memorizes everything.  And he just puts up with all the people around him, because they are not as smart as he is and he damn well knows it.  At least the kid is cute.

So I spent eight bucks on a plastic pool at Toys R Us, so Erin could have something to easily splash around in.  They had pink pools and blue pools.  Dexter, of course, chose pink.  But, hey.  If an eight dollar pink pool is going to get the kid over his fear of wiggly sun spots?  I consider it money very well spent.

Erin was amused for half an hour or so.

Save for the pink pool, this could be Dexter four years ago.  It's his swim shirt.  And the balls he used to play with.  And his shape sorting dump truck.


Erin is trying to figure out how to remove the ring from Dexter's head.  It's his hat.  He gets the pink one, of course.


No comments: