And then she went and got all big and strong and Houdini-like, and I believe has determined that her personal challenge in life is to break free from every swaddle ever put on her. For a little while it was just at night. And I blamed John's swaddling job, because he puts her down at night so SURELY it must be his fault, right? So I doubled up her swaddle at night - Miracle Blanket first, then a receiving blanket over top.
Then she was even breaking free from THAT. So off we went to Wal-Mart to get a BIGGER piece of fabric, to wrap her up tight so she wouldn't break free.
Then she started breaking free at EVERY. SINGLE. NAP. Even if I wrapped her. I tried a few things (double swaddle, Woombie) to no avail. OK, baby. Screw it. We're going cold turkey here, and going swaddle-free.
The first few naps she screamed and cried, and then screamed and cried some more, and then eventually fell asleep. Which - what gives, baby? You were breaking out of your swaddle, so you didn't like that. And now you have freedom, and you don't like that, either? Make up your mind, kid.
We're on Day 3 of swaddle-free. She doesn't scream when I put her down for a nap now. But she doesn't go right to sleep, either. And she wakes up after 45 minutes and cannot get herself back to sleep. But we're making progress. Til she totally gets the hang of the daytime freedom, I'm going to keep her swaddled at night. Because we need some sleep around here. But I think in the next couple days she'll be swaddle free all the time, as she has been waking up at 5AM to grunt and wiggle and squeak and do her damdest to get out of that swaddle.
So right now at night she looks like this:
(I dunno why she's trying so hard to get out of this, because, really - who wouldn't want to spend the night wrapped up in soothing, comforting FLAMES. Dex totally chose this fabric...)
And at nap time she looks like this:
Til she totally pokes herself in the eyeball and then she looks like this, only while crying:
Last week I also put her in the exersaucer for the first time. The first time she was a little skeptical:
But she actually kind of played with the toys a little bit. Since then she has had no interest in the toys. She just hangs out in there, watching the goings-on of the house. It's far more interesting, I suppose, to watch the constant running of her brother and her dog than it is to turn a silly wheel and listen to it rattle.
In other, non-baby news, Dexter seems to be (knock on wood) potty trained at night now. He at least has worn his regular underwear at bed for the past two nights with no accidents. We tried yesterday to give him high fives and tell him how proud we were. I think his response was "Mama, do you like my train?" So, yeah. No big deal to him. But very exciting for us. Finally diaper-free with one kid. Yay!
Dex has been a superstar at swimming, ever since I put his swimming report card in a baggie and sent it to lessons with him so he can read it. He reads that it says he has to swim independently 15 yards with his face in the water, and damn if that kid doesn't just go right ahead and do it. If it's written on a piece of paper, it must be law. He's been awesome, and is moving up to the next level next session.
He also started gymnastics a couple weeks ago, and he LOOOOOOOOOVES it. Loves. So much. And he is impressively good (I am biased). But he's doing things I had no idea he knew how to do. He liked it so much the first time he said he wanted to go back tomorrow. And after his last class he said that "When I am 80, I want to be a gymnastics teacher so I can teach kids how to do gymnastics." Also that week he said "When I am 80 I want to be a teacher so I can make the rules." Apparently 80 is the magic age. Which, SWEET! I am still young! :-) I'll try to take the camera to class tomorrow to snap a few pictures if that is allowed. I think I can pass the baby off to someone for a few minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment