Monday, October 22, 2012

Things I don't miss about being pregnant

Some people love being pregnant.  Some people keep having kids because they love being pregnant.  Me?  Not so much.  Being pregnant is the hefty price to have to pay for having a baby.  I am so very glad to be done with the following:

No more heartburn.  No more Zantac.  No more feeling like I am going to vomit all day, every day.

I can drink water again.  Yes, water.  Stupid body.

I can DRINK again.  I had my first glass of Bailey's in nine months last night.  It.  Was.  Fantastic.

I can sneeze without my rib cage feeling like it is broken.  Now OTHER parts of me feel like they are broken when I sneeze, but hopefully they will heal quickly.

I think I am getting better quality sleep these days.  Not better QUANTITY, but quality.  I can sleep for hours on end without moving, where before I woke up every 45 minutes to heave my big belly over to the other side.

I hope that John is also getting better quality of sleep - hopefully the small motorcycle has driven much farther away and is not so loud.

I got rid of my "boyfriend" - my big-ass body pillow that took up a whole lot of the bed.

I am no longer hot all the time.  I don't sleep with with the window open all night.  John is DELIGHTED.  On the contrary, I now curl up in bed wearing PJ pants, with all the covers pulled up over me, kind of wishing we had the down comforter on the bed.  And I am also wearing socks, which is kind of unheard of.  Hormones are weird.

It is now far easier to bend over to pick up balls, get down on the floor to play with trains, and read books with a toddler curled up on my lap.

I can see my toes again.  And also cut my toe nails.  And tie my shoes.  And, hell, FIT in to my shoes.

I put my wedding rings back on today.

I get to snuggle a lot with this cute little one:


On the flip side, there's a few things that kind of suck right now:

It is impossible to hug anyone without wincing in pain.  Owie, owie, nipples really hurt.

I need a nap.  Pretty much all the time.  Thank heavens Dex has school in the afternoon.  Naps all around!

This little one, while incredibly cute, is also somewhat demanding, unpredictable, and hard to figure out.

Dexter has wondered a few times if the baby will go back in my belly.  If, for instance, she makes some sad choices, will she have to go back in my belly?  And the answer is no, thank you.  I'll take that short list of things that suck right now over the long list of things I don't like about being pregnant.  Any time.  No putting the baby back in my belly.

No comments: