Anyway, Dexter decided when we carved pumpkins this year that he wanted his pumpkin to be a fierce yellow pumpkin. So we went to the Amish farm yesterday, shelled out 6 bucks, and came home with 2 pumpkins. One, Dex proclaimed, would be fierce. And one would be happy.
We got as far as the fierce pumpkin yesterday. We didn't have time to carve the happy one. That might be a task for Thursday morning before school, when we have nothing else going on. Dexter is very excited about his fierce pumpkin already - he ate dinner with it last night, and he and Daddy played with the pumpkin this morning.
Daddy, self-proclaimed non-artist that he is, did quite the admirable job drawing and carving a fierce pumpkin.
And apparently we need to go back for one more pumpkin, so we can cut shapes in to it like we did with our pumpkin last year. I do believe, Aunt Jeanne, that I even have some Halloween cookie cutters this time around.
Oh. I am actually pretty excited to get one more pumpkin, because I roasted some seeds this morning from Mr. Fierce and holy hell, are they ever the best pumpkin seeds I have ever had. They are already almost gone. I am not a fan of pumpkin seeds because I always feel like I am eating a tree. But these? YUM. Boil them in salted water for 20 min. Strain them, spread on a cookie sheet and let dry overnight. Toss them in 1T butter, 1T olive oil, 1T salt. Roast them in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 min. Gobble them up because they are amazing.
And now presenting... The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin:
Cutting the top off. Daddy, are you using a little saw knife? Just like in the book?
Dex took one stab at scooping out guts and decided that Daddy could do it. He was also not a big fan of sticking his hands in the guts to separate the seeds.
Here's what we're aiming for
Dex holds it up to make sure Daddy can see the book while he carves.
Dexter has excellent supervisory skills
And I am sure that hanging on Daddy's arm is incredibly helpful.
Comparing the picture to the pumpkin. How did Daddy do?
Everyone tries out their fierce face. Dexter's needs a little work.
Now with candles in. This is Dexter's fierce face. Scary, eh?
Ooooh. NOW he's looking fierce.
The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin in the dark. I think he turned out pretty cool.
Click on video below to hear Dexter tell you about his pumpkin's face:

No comments:
Post a Comment