Here's the discussion Dexter and I had in the basement yesterday afternoon.
Dexter (jumping on the trampoline): When I have hair like Mama's I can have a baby in my belly.
Me: Well, actually, only girls can have babies in their bellies.
Dexter (still jumping on the trampoline): When I am a girl I can have a baby in my belly.
Me (mildly panicked because what if he decides when he's older that really he IS a girl, and wants a gender operation? I don't want to be discouraging that at the tender age of three. But, the chances he's going to remember this conversation in the future is slim, so go for it): Well, kiddo, you're a boy. And you're stuck being a boy. So I don't think you get to have a baby in your belly. Sorry, bud.
Dexter (still jumping): I am stuck being a boy.
Me (desperately changing the subject): Hey, look! Buddy just went through the tunnel!
I'm gonna suck at the birds and the bees talk...
No comments:
Post a Comment