Sunday, April 22, 2012

We might have just created a monster...

Dex is a TV hater.  Like, a turn on the TV and he freaks out to "turn it off, turn it off turn it OFF!" TV hater.  They watched a movie at school the other day and he freaked.  The teacher tried again the next day to see how he'd react, and he was better but still not pleased.  So John started Operation Make the Kid Tolerate TV this morning while I was gone.  With the very easy, not hard to digest, volume turned down low Toddler Tunes music channel on the TV.  Seems like it'd be ok, right?

Not so much.  John said he freaked.  So John convinced him to leave the room with him, but leave the TV on.  And then gradually it got better, so long as Dexter could snuggle in John's lap.  They watched TV for a few minutes, and then Dexter said he was done and the TV went off and life went on.

And then we came downstairs after nap time to get a snack, and I had the TV on again.  This was after we called Wylie Bird on the computer so that Dexter could show Aunt Maria's Wylie Bird his own (imaginary) Wylie Bird.  Dexter's Wylie Bird is red and not squacky.  Aunt Maria's Wylie Bird is green and squacky.  Dex said hi to Wylie Bird on the computer, showed him his duck, and told him about going to Zone and picking up a switch but we didn't need any switches because we have lots of switches at home so I found the reflectors and I paid for it and I took it outside and I put it in the truck and I brought it home and I put it in the grass next to my playground and we took the sticker off it so that it would reflect on both sides.  Seriously.  This entire story came out of his mouth.  Multiple times today.  And for those not down with the lingo, Zone is also known as Auto Zone.

Where was I?  Oh.  TV.  On during snack time.  And Dexter asked Daddy if he could please move over so that he could see the pictures on the TV.  And then after snack we watched TV and listened to music for a while.  And then when it was time for dinner and I told Dexter we needed to turn the TV off during dinner, THAT caused a freak-out.  Not the TV being on, but the turning OFF of the TV.  He said "we can watch TV again after dinner."

OK, little man.  We can.  But I'm not excited about this becoming a habit, because I think we might have just created a monster...

I told Nonna I'd try to post pictures of the azaleas at Winterthur tonight, but I'm not sure I'm going to do more than just this one.  I had a long night with the girls last night.  I am tired.  But the azaleas.  Were amazing.  And some day I will show you more pictures.

No comments: