Friday, December 11, 2009

Snuffle. Snort. Cough.

Being sick sucks. I know that. You feel like crap, you can't breathe, stuff doesn't taste right, you can't sleep because you can't breathe, etc etc. Pretty much just sucky.

But then add in the "I'm ten months old, breathe almost exclusively through my nose, and also I can't communicate to tell you what's wrong" aspect to it, and MAN. Being sick SUCKS.

So the baby is sick. Since Tuesday. My sister says it's Santa's fault - he had cooties. She may well be right.

He's not super sick. Just the run-of-the-mill can't breathe through his nose, running a little fever, coughing up the snot running down the back of his throat, grumpy, not sleeping well kind of sick. It's great fun.

We're doing all we can for the poor boy. Vaporizer. Heater in his room (it gets COLD in there). Sitting in hot steamy bathroom after Mom showers. Saline up the nose (hates this). Nose sucky thingy (HATES HATES HATES this). Baby Vicks on the chest. Lots of cuddles and opportunities to take naps. Early bed. Feeding a bottle in the evening because it's easier than nursing when you can't breathe through the nose.

And he's still sick. No improvement in his condition at all. Still in the "not sick enough to go to the doctor, but too sick to go to the store so Mom can get out of the house and not go crazy" stage. John asked if I got the mail today. That'd be a no. I don't think I put shoes on today. I certainly didn't set foot outside. Also - it's FREAKING COLD OUT. So, no. I didn't get the mail today.

Poor tyke. I feel bad for him. I wish there was more I could do for him. But I think we just have to ride this one out. He has, at least, been fairly chipper when he's awake. Walking all over with his car. Chasing CoCo. Climbing the stairs. And, about 30% of the time, figuring out how to start back DOWN the stairs. Hey - 30% is pretty good. It's up from 0%.

Here's hoping the boy wakes up Saturday morning with a nice clear nose, and without a cough. Oh, and while we're at it, let's kick that fever, too, shall we?
We were going with the "if you go outside your nose gets runny, and then when you come back inside Mom can suck the snot out" theory here. Went for a walk.

It was COLD. Somewhere under all those layers there is a baby.

Too many layers!! HALP! HALP! I've fallen, and I can't get up!

HALP! I've fallen AGAIN and I can't get up!

Hey, check it out, Grandpa! I finally figured out how to play with the bed bugs. Til they don't push down like they're supposed to (maybe because my hand is on the other bug) and then I get mad and throw it. :-)

No comments: