Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Pool Party with the Girls

While John headed to the beach for the weekend, possibly his last time as a not-a-dad, I headed up to New York to visit the parents and have a little get-together with a couple of my high school girl friends. Saturday Jeanne came down from Utica and we all went to lunch with my godmother, Linda, who was in town for a day. She was surprised to see us! Then we went to the mall and bought my first fat lady maternity pants. Boooooo. They're ok, though. And I also went shopping at the "House of Jeanne" and stole a bunch of pants from her, too. They might fit for a couple more weeks before Rocky gets too big to fit in to normal pants.

Sunday my girlfriends from high school, Karen and Michelle, came over to take advantage of the heated pool. Karen has two boys and Michelle has one. All the boys had fun swimming! It was great seeing the girls - I am sure I'll have plenty of "how do I do this" questions for them when Rocky arrives.

Seeing my girlfriends' kids was great, although a little bittersweet this weekend. My heart goes out to my friends Amy and Rick, whose little three year old girl, Arden, lost her fight with cancer on Saturday night. Amy and Rick are such an inspiration - positive and strong throughout their battle. It shakes my confidence a bit, though, in my decision to have a child. It just seems so unfair to have a child for such a short time, only to have to let her go...

1 comment:

ARGZ BLOGZ said...

Alyssa,

If it helps, I cherish every moment I got to spend with Arden, even the most difficult ones. I wouldn't have given up the time I had with her for anything, and I will carry her with me in my heart and mind always. The love you experience as a parent is a gift unlike any other. You'll be a terrific mom!

Sending love & hugs your way-
Amy