Fortunately, it was August so we were in the pleasant, two months of summer time in the Arctic Circle. John's older sister Christy and her boyfriend Steven were coming up from New York City, but weren't getting there until Sunday evening. So John and I spent Sunday doing NOTHING. Well, we ate. Kind of a lot. And I helped make cup cakes so we could eat some more. But otherwise we did nothing. Marvelous, after two weeks of doing lots!
Monday was our day to celebrate Christy's birthday. We ALL (Dad included!) went for a little hike at Stone Valley, hoping to go swimming in our favorite swimming hole.
Mom congratulates Dad on making the long long walk
Pretty waterfall. And East Coast trees! It was nice hiking back in trees I knew. Well, ok. My wildlife friends know I know ZERO trees. I got through school by being in Smart Kevin's lab group when we had to ID trees. But I DO know my favorite tree, the Eastern Hemlock. And there were plenty to be found on our little hike.
This is our favorite swimming hole. We walked right past it the first time. Didn't look right, so we didn't stop. We decided on the way back that this must be it. It just had a LOT more water running over it than usual. So, we didn't swim. We didn't want to get washed away. But there were fun memories. Ah, look - there's where CoCo got washed down the river and John jumped in to save her. Ah, look. That's where CoCo got her butt kicked by a dog last year... Such memories! CoCo's had back luck at Stone Valley.After we got home and showered, we went out to dinner at the Lobster House to celebrate Christy's big day, and then went back home to open gifts and eat cake.
John, Dad, Mom, Christy, and Steven at the Lobster House
Christy opens birthday gifts
We created a bit of a monster by giving Mom a camera for Christmas. But she's having fun with it, so it's all good.
Christy's birthday cake
She successfully blows out all her candles
The following morning we celebrated Dad. His birthday wasn't until the following week, but what the heck. We were here. May as well celebrate! We ate, and ate some more. Eggs for breakfast, blueberry pancakes and corn on the cob (don't ask, I have no idea how they go together) for lunch about three seconds after breakfast. And then it was time for us to make the long drive back to Maryland. With a stop in Cortland to pick up cute fuzzy CoCo. She had a good time at summer camp with Grandma and Grandpa Cowan. But I think she was happy to be home. As were we!




No comments:
Post a Comment