Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Vacation Day 3 - Old Faithful

OK, if I can stay awake long enough I'll do one more post. I am STILL working on east coast time. Somehow John adapted in about two hours. Not I. Still waking up at 4:30 every morning. And right now it's 10 pm and I am about ready to pass out!

Monday morning we entered Yellowstone for the first time, passed a spot in the road where you could not stop because there was a bald eagle nest right by the side of the road. We saw a few elk way off in a field, and then almost to Kathy's campground stopped on the side of the road for three more elk and a buffalo, all grazing and causing big old "elk jams." The buffalo are good for this, too. They like hanging on the side of the road, or just wandering down the road (as we found out on our way to Old Faithful that morning - almost got hit by a buffalo).

Said hi to the Halls at their campground. I haven't seen the whole family since 2006 when I went to Calgary, and John hasn't seen them since our wedding. It took the girls (Katie and Gracie, ages 8 and 6, respectively) about 30 minutes to stop being shy. And after that it was all over... Non-stop talk for the rest of the day. Actually, they STILL haven't stopped yet, and it's currently Wednesday night...

On our way to Old Faithful we took a drive to the Firehole Lake and stopped to check out some cool geysers and hot springs. We also stopped at the Biscuit Basin and saw some absolutely amazing colored springs and some fun little geysers. I'll post pics later - I am too tired to look through them right now!

We got to Old Faithful right after an eruption, which gave us 75 minutes to get our bearings, eat some lunch, and grab a front row seat for the next show. And about 75 minutes later, we and about 1,000 of our closest friends watched Old Faithful do its thing. It was pretty cool, although we were on the side where all the mist blows, so we couldn't see the fountain quite as well. We might go back again on Saturday.

After we got out of the Old Faithful traffic jam (it's ridiculous in there) we drove the rest of the Grand Loop Road past Yellowstone Lake, past the Fishing Bridge (had to stop for ice cream, of course. When you're with 2 kids, how can you resist?), and past Canyon Village and back to camp. After some dinner with Kathy and Jonathan we drove our tired butts home and crashed!

No comments: