Saturday, May 25, 2013

He gets his drawing skills from me

Tonight, after Dexter went potty and brushed his teeth with his very cool tickly toothbrush (he now brushes his teeth like seven times a day) he wanted to dance in his room.  He likes a dance party, and he especially likes telling people what to do.  So we all were instructed to DANCE!  And KICK!  And JUMP!  And KICK!  And then DANCE NORMAL!  And he proceeded to dance, Dave Telesco-style, hands flapping, butt out, and legs shuffling a million miles an hour.  We were a sight, because "dance normal" in our house is not "normal" in anyone else's house.  We're excellent dancers...

A couple months ago I bought a whole series of "Pony Pals" chapter books, used, for like 5 bucks.  I pulled one off the shelf for the first time the other night.  It turns out that might be the best five bucks I ever spent.  He is now obsessed, and John rolled his eyes and sighed when Dexter declared last night that he "LOVED Pony Pals."  John thinks it's a grand conspiracy, and shall now counter with some terrible motorcycle chapter books, or maybe race cars.

The fabulous thing that came from this was the Pony Pals Journal, where Dexter was to write or draw pictures of various things.  Dex isn't a big drawer, but he's been drawing more in the past month or so.  Mostly train tracks, and maybe a train or two.  And he drew some "No Smoking" signs on our dry erase board, to ensure that nobody smokes in our house.  Because, MAN, were we worried about THAT.  But in the Pony Pals Journal he expanded his horizons a bit, and I am so very proud of him.  I drew a bit, too, and it's quite obvious he gets his excellent drawing skills from me.

I was impressed with the hands he drew for his teacher

Here's a car, with a headlight, and a turn signal, and a tail light, and someone driving

On the left is a riding ring, with some brown dirt.  On the right is Dexter's horse.  After he drew this one, he asked me to draw a horse, because his wasn't very good.  Which, really, kind of broke my heart.  I adore his horse drawing.

So I drew a horse.  I'm an excellent drawer.  Dex added a ring around my horse, and drew some blood in its belly.  He also wrote "horse/pony" at the top.  And I think that's supposed to be a horse he drew, on the right.  After I drew my horse, Dexter said "Mama, can you draw a better horse now?"  Ummmmm.  No, actually.  I can't.  That's all I got, kiddo.

The left page says "no horses" and the right is Dexter's horse.  I can't remember why he said his horse had a sad face.

Then we moved on to cars.  I drew the car on the left, Dex drew the car on the right.

Here's another one of my cars.  "Mama, why does your car have triangle windows?"  Just mixin' it up, son.

One more of Dexter's cars.  With very little wheels.

Now we're moving on to trains.  Mine is on the left, Dexter's on the right.

And, finally, another train from Dex.  Complete with tracks.  He signed his name and everything.

3 comments:

Carol C said...

Your comment about Dex dancing "Dave Telesco" style brought back some great memories, and I have a very clear picture of that in my head. I hope you are all doing well!

The Normans said...

John said, when he read this, "Nobody is going to know what dancing Dave Telesco style means." To which I said "Carol reads the blog. She will know. That's enough."

Rebecca, Dave, and Joey said...

Dave has entered the building...and LOVES that Dexter is carrying on my unique dancing style! I miss dancing, need to make friends with some young unmarried folks so I can dance at their wedding!