Everything here is blooming. Dexter's class has been going for walks outside looking for signs of spring. So he already knew about daffodils and was SO EXCITED when ours bloomed. He looked at them every day. And then as we drove down our back country roads I pointed out forsythia and cherry trees and Bradford pear trees and now damned if he doesn't know all those, too. John took him for a bike ride the other morning and he wanted to turn around to go home, so he could ride past the forsythia again. John was floored - how did he even know what those were called? And how does he say that word better than John does?
Dexter took a daffodil from our yard in to school for Show and Tell on Thursday (seriously, the bane of my existence is this Show and Tell. EVERY Thursday. Every week I have to think of something for this child to take to school to show his friends. Something that he can talk about. I asked him what he told his friends about his daffodil. He told me he told his friends how much his daffodil talks. Ummmmm. OK. I guess?)
Anyway - we had kind of vague plans to go see cherry blossoms again this year, but the only day I didn't have something planned in the evening (meaning I'd need to get home) was Friday. And John had a meeting he couldn't miss. And I ended up breaking my finger on Thursday afternoon and went to the doctor on Friday morning, anyway. So cherry blossoms were out of the question. But it was a glorious day, and on a whim I asked Dex if he wanted to stay home or go to Longwood. Oh, my, did he ever pick the right answer...
The tulips are out! ALREADY! Now, granted, not all of them are blooming. Just pockets here and there. Along with daffodils, and, oh, just about everything else.
Like, for instance, cherry trees. And see? Those tulips right behind Dex are not yet blooming. Give em a couple more weeks.
From the "white" end of Tulip Lane - white cherry tree, and some early blooming white tulips. Or maybe they were hyacinth. I can't remember.
Mr. G.Q. thought he was hot stuff walking on the wall and not falling off.
Someone was, ummmmmm, kind of NOT PLEASED at being plopped down on a cherry tree and told to smile.
He eventually warmed up to it a little bit.
Love this huge weeping cherry down by where we feed the fish. Unless the geese come out of the water. In which case we drop our bread and run because geese are MEAN.
This patch of daffodils isn't quite all the way in bloom yet, but the cherry tree above it is fabulous.
Someone asked for me to please take his picture as he was going up the stairs.
How could I say no?
Sitting on the gazebo steps. We were delighted to find fish to feed here, too. Feeding fish for us is basically a "two pieces for me, one piece for you" bread eating event.
Another wall. Of course it must be walked upon.
Throwing magnolia petals
After lunch and ice cream the small one requested we "play inside first, then look at more flowers outside." Hey, whatever you want to do, little man. You're in charge today.
So much joy in chasing water
Fortunately, when you're all hot and sweaty from running after the water, there's a shower to cool off in.
This one reminds me so much of a cheesy school photo from the 60's or something, that I had to include it.
One last bout of splashing to ensure total soaking and a change of clothes.
Outside again. Daffodils abound.
Dex loved being able to get close to the forsythia. He said the other day that "some time we can get forsythia in OUR yard." Sure, buddy. I'd like that, too.
Climbing a cherry tree. He asked for help and I told him no - I wouldn't help, he could do it himself, and if he couldn't do it he shouldn't be climbing in the first place.
Look who was all proud of himself! Granted, he's about six inches off the ground. But I was impressed, too. He climbed up AND down by himself, twice.
Unexplained sad face.
Smelling daffodils
Checking out the very cool tulips
The view in my most favorite place in Longwood in the spring - the perennial tulip beds. Still lots of green there waiting to bloom.
Another tree spotted. Another climbing mission.
Checking out the big magnolia flowers
Of course we found another wall to walk on.
After four hours at Longwood, we were sitting in the grass listening to the bell tower play its music when Dexter looked up at me and said "We can go home now." Thank you, Lord. I love this place, but four hours is a long time to be pushing 35 pounds around in a stroller.
Thank you, one week of summer. We enjoyed you thoroughly. Now I'm just hoping that tonight's frost won't kill off MY yet to bloom tulips.
No comments:
Post a Comment