Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Day

Yesterday's forecast called for morning rain and some sleet, followed by a period of nothing, then a blast of 5 inches of snow or so. The forecasters, normally so completely accurate, really shit the bed with this one...
Wednesday morning

Since we weren't able to make the appointment we had on Wednesday morning, and sitting around doing nothing all morning really makes me crazy, and we had some nice fresh snow sitting directly outside our door and I didn't even have to put shoes on to go get it...
We did this for a while. Inspired by pictures posted on Facebook on Wednesday morning. I do believe the entire Bel Air Moms Group probably did this very same activity.
So you just drag a dirty water table up from the basement, wash it a little bit, grab a shovel from the garage, open the door, fill up the water table and "BAM!" Instant Mom of the year award winner.
I pretty much expected that snow in the kitchen would result in a wet mess, and instant kitchen floor cleaning. I kind of overlooked the fact that food coloring stains. And that small dog footprints tracked through the kitchen and subsequently the dining room floor would stain. As would footprints from a small child, chasing after the small dog. So part of the snow playing had me taking fun pictures. While the other part had me wildly racing around the kitchen with paper towels, mopping up food colored water. I do believe when we do this again I shall use 1) less snow and 2) no food coloring.
And in typical Dexter fashion, snow time turned in to snow cone time. Followed by some strange faces and tongues sticking out because, DUDE, snow is COLD!

Poor John shoveled the driveway twice yesterday before he went to work, and it kept snowing after he left so I shoveled again at nap time. And then, as promised, it snowed like mad yesterday evening and we woke up to this:
We also woke up to no power. No heat. No water. No promise of when things would be restored. I told Jeanne about it and she tried to see, from her fancy-ass power company maps, what the deal was. Her general consensus? Our power company sucks. No argument here.

John shoveled the driveway AGAIN, decided we're for sure looking for a snow blower this spring when they're cheap, and headed off to work. Only to return a few minutes later to switch cars with me. We tossed the car seat in the truck so I could go out if needed, because the roads were kind of crap. My compliments of PA's snow plows last week came back to haunt me, as slushy roads had cars off in ditches all over the place. We know because we headed out later in the morning to get some coffee and head to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart. With power. Warm. Nice.

Anyway, power was back on when we got home, and Dex slept too late this afternoon to play with more snow. So maybe tomorrow we'll play again. This time WITHOUT food coloring.

No comments: