Saturday, January 15, 2011

SCIENCE!

Dex and I are in New York as I type, keeping Grandma entertained as she recovers from knee replacement surgery. Sometimes, though, Grandma needs a break from our entertainment, and we need a little change of scenery. So we ventured out to the Ithaca ScienceCenter. Cute little place - Dex saw maybe 1/2 of it because we got so caught up in looking through colored blocks and playing with cars and train sets that we didn't have time to see everything.

We took Grandpa along with us, so he got to play with balls and play with blocks and watch Dex for a little bit while I went to the bathroom. That, apparently, went swimmingly.

Dex is definitely showing some of the tendencies that qualified him for early intervention services. Not in speech, mind you. No, Mr. I've Learned Ten New Words in the Past Three Seconds didn't qualify in the speech department. He did, however, qualify in the Social Development category. Which, I think, means "cries when left in a cool place with his Grandpa" and also "terrified of kick-ass ball tower thingy til he was convinced to come sit on Mom's lap, after which we couldn't tear him away from the damn thing."

We haven't yet decided if we're going to accept the (free) services. Part of us thinks "what harm could it do" while part of us wonders if we're just being paranoid parents. Because, sure, he's a little bit shy and timid. But he's pretty stinkin cute, and we both were shy kids and, hey, we turned out ok. Right? Right???

We're heading back home tomorrow to see Daddy, who has been hard at work doing fun things like replacing a hot water heater motor, and replacing a toilet valve. Nice relaxing weekend for John.

I know he misses us, although perhaps doesn't miss having to get up at 6:30AM every morning. But he'd have liked to ask Dex what color Mama was, and hear him say "saaahPP."


Oh - Grandpa got us a new sled. It's color? "Poo-poo." Ridiculously cute, this whole talking thing...

No comments: