Sunday, December 5, 2010

Given the circumstances, that was actually kind of pleasant

A.I. DuPont Children's Hospital. A mere 30 minutes away if you don't get lost seven times on the way there. The definitive place to take your child if you live in this area and need to go to the ER. Which, technically, we didn't NEED to do. Had the doctor's office been open on a Sunday we'd have simply gone there. But, alas, the way the planets aligned we ended up at A.I. today. After Dex woke up coughing and breathing fast again. We called the on-call nurse at our doctor's office, who told us some treatments to try, and that if they didn't work we should go to the ER. Under normal circumstances? His rapid breathing maybe is not such a big deal. But two weeks after he went to the hospital and had a fluid-filled chest x-ray? It becomes more of a big deal.

A.I. was really kind of nice. We were trapped in a little 10 foot square room, with a bed, two chairs, a TV with lots of movie choices, and Dexter's favorite book with trucks and bulldozers and stuff that pull out and become their own toys. Plus there were plenty of red and green lights to look at. We snuggled up and hung out with just ourselves, with no distractions and nothing better to do than just hang out. We watched Cars and Finding Nemo and waited forever for a resident doctor, and then waited another forever for the real doctor, then waited another forever for the x-ray tech (who was FABULOUS), then waited another forever for the x-ray results. Which were clear. Congested, but clear. Nothing really to do for him but keep using his inhaler if his symptoms continue.

So... Thanks, A.I., for being so close and for taking good care of us today. I really hope we never have to visit you again.
An old (by a few days) picture. But you all know I can't post a post without some kind of picture...

No comments: