This is the time of year when I don't have time to be sick. This is the time of year when I try to make weekend plans and have to go at least a month forward in the calendar to find a free day. This is the time of year when the horse doesn't get ridden, girly movie nights are often unattended, and friends wonder if I still exist. It's the time of year when I have golf tournaments to run, Maryland Million Days to organize, Gala parties to attend, and Fair Hill volunteer work to take up any spare time.
So the past seven days haven't helped me out much. Last Saturday, while volunteering at Fair Hill, I had a stomach ache and was SO happy when someone finally came to take over my job so I could go home to take a nap. I stayed awake long enough to watch the VT football game (go Hokies!) and to take my temperature (99.6) before I fell asleep on the couch for the rest of the night. Sunday I managed to eat some toast and feel a little bit better - better enough to go to Babies R Us with my girl friends to figure out what kind of stuff needed to go on a baby registry. I'm such a moron. Down each aisle I'd say "OK, so what IS this stuff? Do I really need it?" Fortunately I was with two voices of experience who could say "You HAVE to have this" or "Nah, that's just hyped up crap."
All this week my stomach just wasn't totally right. I thought perhaps I was experiencing heartburn - annoying, but livable. Thursday I ate lunch, felt really bad after lunch, and decided I really needed to investigate the heartburn theory more. So I wandered out for some heartburn medicine, then to Sam's Club to buy some goodies for my golf tournament. While in Sam's Club I frequented the bathroom - one stall and I were good friends. Throwing up in Sam's Club is a new experience - not one I'd like to repeat. Figured this was maybe more than heartburn, so I walked in to my doctor's office. Seemed that nothing was majorly wrong - appendix seemed fine, pancreas seemed fine. Doctor said go home, rest, drink fluids. So I promptly left the exam room, entered their bathroom, threw up. Went across the road to my office, gathered my stuff and a trash can for the road, just in case. It takes me an hour to drive home. I made it half way, found a quiet parking lot, pulled over, made good use of my trash can. I was a hurtin pup.
John took care of me Thursday night, and Friday morning I was kind of ok, but with serious pain in my lower right belly. Like someone is stabbing you with a knife kind of pain. Not terrible if I didn't move. Pretty terrible if I moved. Or breathed. So I hopped on down to the OBGYN's office on Friday morning. Rocky's doing fine - still in me, heart still beating, still doing somersaults. Good work, Rocky. Sorry I bothered you yesterday with my heaving. So the going theory as to why I cannot stand up straight, or lift my right leg, is that I pulled my ab muscles while throwing up four times on Thursday. Welcome to pregnancy... Who in the world says that? What's wrong, Alissa? Why are you walking all hunched over? Well, yesterday when I was throwing up, I pulled my ab muscles...
Anyway, my goal for today is to not move. At all. Although I do feel better than I did yesterday, which is fabulous. After I showered, I could almost walk normally. Yay! It's a bummer, though, this whole not moving thing. It's a gorgeous fall weekend. We were supposed to go visit John's sister in New York City. And now I am stuck in the recliner in the basement, watching college football. But - has to be done. I need to get better now - I have a golf tournament to run on Monday, and about 28 billion things to do in the 10 days following that. No time to be sick this time of year...
2 comments:
Hey sister. Sorry to hear about your miseries--that's a long time to be sick! It's not your gallbladder, is it? A woman at work just had a gallbladder attack with similar symptoms. Hers were more acute, but it made me wonder anyway. I guess gallbladder pain is usually on your upper right side, but pregnancy shifts all your organs around so who knows? Just thought I'd mention it. Hope you feel better soon.
i must admit that I'm reading this not only with sympathy that you felt so crappy, but also with a smirk about the strained abs due to puking. Been there! Different reason, but been there.
Post a Comment