Friday, September 12, 2008

Consignment

As I was looking for a halfway decent consignment shop around work, so I could find a full body pillow for less than $60 and perhaps be able to sleep through the night without searing pains in both hips, I stumbled across an awesome twice a year consignment sale in Bel Air. For last night. Got lucky on that one! Last night was actually a "new mom preview sale" and then the sale is open to the public all weekend. Sunday is 50% off day - I might have to go back!

Anyway, John came with me, so if we saw something big and important (like we really know what that is...) for a decent price we could just buy it. I think we hit the jackpot! I was having some stress on the whole infant car carrier and car seat thing - way too much money for something I can use for such a short period of time. But at the sale - car seat, 2 bases, AND the awesome car seat carrier stroller thingy that I had read such good reviews about. Total cost? Maybe $50 for the whole package. Most excellent! One less thing to worry about.

Had people actually heard our conversations, they may well have laughed at us. They went something like this: "Do we need this?" "I don't know. What is it?" "I don't know." OR "We don't need those things, right? Larysa is giving us like seven of them." "Larysa kicks ass!" OR "Can we get this Pooh outfit for the kid?" (me rolling my eyes - it's godawful ugly) "Sure, it's only 5 bucks. But it's not my fault when he looks back at his baby pictures and is horrified at what he is wearing." OR "What kind of baby carrier thingy do we need?" "I don't know. How will we know if we will like it? Or if he will like it?" "I don't know, but they're only 12 bucks - lets get a few."

So we dragged home a nice stash - car seat, stroller thing, clothing - all kinds of excellent sleep sacks and warm footie pajama things, and a kick butt snow suit, and a car seat cover - another "Hmmm, what's this for?" moment that we decided would come in handy when Rocky and I stroll down the road in February to visit with the Red Army. And like three different slings, baby carriers, etc. Total cost? $142. Killer!

I, of course, completely forgot to look for fat lady pregnant clothes, or full body pillows. SO - I might have to go back! :-)

2 comments:

Jeanne Campbell said...

Crap - guess i better return the pooh outfits i bought him, cause i love pooh. I need to find him a Big Bird hat!

John DiMeo said...

$142? Bargain. I've seen John at the Starboard spend that much, in less time, uttering "I don't know" repeatedly, and come home with nothing.