On Memorial Day I got back from riding Zach and John got back from the beach at about the same time. We chatted at the table while John ate some lunch - random things that happened at Dewey, my exciting weekend of work, cook out, and riding. When we were all talked out, I mentioned that I had to pee - and should I pee on a stick? Quite the way to grab your husband's attention! John asked if I had a stick (a pregnancy test) and it just so happened that I did. Should have seen my cart at Wal-Mart. Fruit, salad, Clorox Wipes, and a pregnancy test. The check-out girls must see some interesting stuff every day.
John read the directions (no, that's not a typo), and I went in to the bathroom for the ceremonious peeing - perhaps the most important five seconds of my life to date. And then, being the level-headed, fairly unemotional people that we are, we started to watch The Office while we waited for the stick to do its job. Waited for the first commercial break, and then I sent John in to check out the stick. He came out of the bathroom with a smile on his face and gave a little nod. Yep! Pregnant! I said something to the effect of - I figured it must be. My boobs have been killing me. And we expressed out sheer terror at the now solid fact that a child will be entering our life very soon. And then went right back to watching The Office. You could hear the wheels cranking in both our heads, though. I'm not positive that our baby news has quite sunk in, and we're going to keep it quiet for a while longer. Perhaps when we tell the family, and people ask every day how the baby is doing, it might sink in a bit more. For now we're coming to the realizations that A) we're going to be very poor and B) we're going to need a bigger house.
A memorable Memorial Day, for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment