Monday, May 26, 2008

Same Trail, Different Ears

I haven't been for a trail ride since I sent Frazier away on May 1. I've been riding a bit, still. My friend Cate has three horses that need some extra rides to keep them fit (they are endurance horses) so I've been riding them a couple times a week after work. Since today was such a beautiful day and I was on my own (John spent the weekend at the beach) I decided to take Zach out for a ride at Susquehanna State Park. I did essentially the same trail I did with Fraz at the end of April - which included the fun red ridge trail and the ever so scary "Steps of Doom." It's an interesting contrast riding Zach, a Walking Horse, instead of Fraz. Plus I've never ridden Zach by himself - only in a group. So he was MUCH slower than I am used to. Felt even slower that Fazier, if that's even possible. We did 8 miles at Susquehanna today, at a very slow, turtle-like pace of 4 mph. Which only got that high because Zach knows his way back to the trailer so we galloped the entire last big field we went through. Ah, well. At least he got out. I think he's got a 30 mile endurance ride coming up in a couple weeks.



At the top of the scary scary steps. Zach is pretty unflappable, so he clambered right down with no problem.


We stop for a bite of grass, and a drink of Propel. It's a perfect Memorial Day!


Zach says "Hey, my Mom always gives me a carrot after I get a drink from a creek." And I say "You have to actually TAKE a drink, not fake it, smart boy."


Please, may I have a carrot now that I am done riding? I am VERY cute!

No comments: