Friday, January 3, 2014

A Lot of Longwood

I have been to Longwood no less than three times in a nine day period.  I can tell you with confidence that 2:00 on a Friday afternoon is a lovely time to look at trains, sunset over the middle grassy area is quite spectacular, and a warm Saturday evening is a pretty terrible time to go see the lights if you don't like crowds.

Perhaps I am jaded, but the indoor Christmas display didn't rock my world this year.  I hold all displays up to my favorite gingerbread display from a couple years ago.  Everything since then has paled in comparison.

The lights, however, were nice.  I didn't see lights last year, so it was fun to get back to see the fountain show and the floating Christmas trees and the snowflakes in the trees and the candles in the tree house and the purple tree trunks.  Dex went one of those times and I think he liked it.  Although he really wanted to take a nap in the stroller.

I have approximately 7 billion photos from Longwood.  I was going to put them all in one post, but it's too many.  Toooooo many.  So here's pics from my first visit, on a Friday afternoon with the kids.

TRAINS!  Always our first stop at Longwood.  Trains.  If you look closely you can see Erin signing "train."  I tried to get it on video but I was unsuccessful.

Despite the snow on the ground, it was pretty nice out that day.  Almost 50 degrees.

Erin likes walking on the brick pathway

"Mama, this is the longest video I've EVER taken!" he exclaims with glee.

This warms my heart.  Dex almost looks like he likes his sister, and is guiding her around Longwood.  I'm not positive that's the case, but that's what I am going to believe from now on.


When we went with my parents, someone from Longwood was telling us that every day someone wades in to the fountain and looks at all the apples (those are apples in there) to check for ones that are going bad and need to be replaced.  Heck of a job, eh?

Dex wanted me to take a picture of this pear/apple Christmas tree.

After I took a couple million similar-looking pictures, an older couple near me said "Those are going to be cute pictures."  I told them it helps when you have cute kids.

A little close-up of some of the ornaments and decorations.  Someone WRAPS these fake presents.  And puts the bows on them and everything.  How do they do that?

Please to be enjoying the following series of cute children pretending to look at Christmas decorations.  Mostly Erin was pretending to feed Dexter "cookies."

A couple views of the new conservatory:

Here's the kids in the Children's Garden.  Surprisingly, after this visit I had a hard time getting Dex in to the Children's Garden again.  "I don't want to get wet," he says.  Who IS this child?
Erin was intrigued by the waterfall, but ultimately decided she was not a fan.

The beginnings of a screaming baby.

She LOVED painting with water.  We shall have to remember this when the weather warms up.

Erin likes painting. Dex mostly likes swirling his brush around in the pool of water, and then seeing if it floats.

Dexter introduced Erin to the running water.

Erin did not so much run, but she thought the water tasted delicious.

She watched while Dexter ran, but she didn't really see the point of it.  I mean, the water always comes back to you.

Dexter still loves the bubble water.  Erin?  She thought it tasted yummy.
She would carefully place her hand in the water...
And then just as carefully shove it right in her mouth.

Sunset and, if you look carefully to the left, green Christmas lights.  Pretty.

Erin checking out the fountain show.  Oh how I love the stroller bag.

She did eventually get out to see things a little better.

Everybody liked the fountain show, and then we headed home and Daddy had dinner ready for us, and then everyone went to bed exhausted.  The End.

No comments: