Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Gymnast

We missed gymnastics this week, in favor of attending an evaluation scheduled 6 months ago for Dexter to continue receiving wrap-around services.  Given his druthers, Dex certainly would have chosen gymnastics to playing with cars and talking to the doctor (although the kid cracks me up.  She was asking him about the names of the cars in the movie Cars.  He told her a couple, and then said "I don't think I want to tell you any more cars."  And then told me "I don't know the doctor's name."  So I told him he could ask the doctor her name.  He did, and she replied, and he (ever the lady's man) said "Oh, that's a pretty name!").

This kid LOOOVES him some gymnastics.  And I am glad.  I love seeing his grin for the entire 45 minutes he is there, and I am always amazed at what his little body can actually accomplish.  He can now do a completely unassisted forward somersault (and will happily show you when asked, or even when NOT asked) and has some mad skills on the uneven bars.  The downside is that his monkey-like skills have now transferred to playing around the house.  So John turned around to throw the ball for Scout, turned back to Dexter, and found him climbing around on the top of our swing set.  Which, you know.  Cool.  One day he'll fall and start to realize his limitations.  Til then, I'm glad he's feeling bold and brave.

All smiles waiting his turn for the bars

He's supposed to swing, and then jump off the mat

And here's some video of the long-legged child kicking some balloons.  Ms Kristen had to keep moving the balloons farther away for him.  That evening he said he could not bend over to help me pick things up from the floor, because his belly hurt.  From too much kicking in gymnastics.  Poor kid.

No comments: