Friday, August 31, 2012

Beachy

We're at the beach!  I went to the hospital this morning for another weekly ultrasound and non-stress test, which went well and quickly.  So we were on the road by 10:30, off to Ocean City, MD.  Just south, really.  Just a few miles from Assateague Island.  Which is, of course, where we went this afternoon.  It was fabulous, and WOW what a difference a year makes in the bravery of this child.  He went to the beach saying he didn't like the ocean.  Then he remembered that he jumped the waves last time we went to the ocean (last summer) and he liked that, so maybe he DID like the ocean.  I wasn't sure it was going to go so well when we first arrived, but once the small one decided the ocean was A-OK, there was no stopping him.  He loved it.

We're staying in a cute, TINY little house.  It was one of the only places I could find that would just let us rent for 2 nights.  It's cute and clean, and they let us bring the mutt with us so we didn't have to board him.  Dex got out of the shower this evening and said "I almost like I this bathroom."  He also said, when we were at the beach, that "This looks like a good place to live.  We can live here."  Ten-four, little man.  We can live here.

We were at Assateague.  So of course there were wild ponies.  I didn't quite expect them to just be hanging out on the beach with a trillion tourists swimming and romping around them.  But there they were.

Getting closer to the water, but still not willing to go in.

Bravely getting his toes wet in the tidal pool, where there were no waves.

Braver.  Getting braver.

Brave enough to try a little wave jumping (note ponies.  Just chillin).

A little wave jumping video (click above to play)

Brave enough to let go of Daddy's hand


After jumping in shallow waves for a while, I went in deeper to swim a bit.  And lo and behold, the boys followed me out.  John carried Dex, but he LOVED being out in the deep water, jumping the big waves out there.  Finally he got cold, so we went back on the beach to get a cookie.

We had cool sand castles to make.


Off to jump waves again


I have no idea what the above video is, as our internet is spotty.  Click and find out.


We started a new game - run down, touch the water, run back.

Thusly (click above for video)

Finally we headed back to our home away from home, cooked some hot dogs and mac and cheese from a box (which I haven't had in YEARS), and tossed the small one in to the bottom bunk of a bunk bed.  He really wanted to sleep up top.  We really didn't want him to fall out.  He passed out after about 3 seconds.

More fun tomorrow - bike riding, pool, playground, more beach, naps, more beach, etc etc.


No comments: