Thursday, January 12, 2012

Butt Naked

We're kind of half-assedly potty training the small child.  It was unintentional, really.  I'm far too lazy for this whole "put the kid on the potty seven billion times a day" thing, and Dex has been sitting on the potty, reluctantly, for several months with no results.  I didn't want the potty to be something terrible, so I wasn't pushing the issue.

Til Dex had really bad diaper rash, after some diarrhea (oh, yeah - puking child on New Years eve, diarrhea for several days, more puking on Jan 2.  It was a doozey of a way to start the year).  And I had him running around naked for an afternoon to try to help his diaper rash.  And simply told him that pee goes in the potty and not on the floor.  And goddamn if the kid didn't stop what he was doing, look at me and say "I want to try peeing on the potty."  And then he DID.  Pee on the potty.  Hell yeah, kiddo.  Nice work.

I pushed my luck a little bit and went out to buy underwear the next day.  Dex was excited to wear it til he peed in his underwear, and the next day pooped in it.  I think after that he decided that underwear was far too much work.  So now if you ask him if he wants to wear a diaper or underwear, his choice is definitely diaper.  But if I make him run around butt naked, he will reliably stop what he is doing and go pee on the potty.  So we're making progress.

This morning Dex was naked and was playing with his cars on the coffee table.  It was prime pooping time, and he continued to say "I don't need to go poopy at ALL!"  Which, after two days of puking and similar statements coming out of his mouth about puke, we have come to realize means "Holy hell, get that kid over a toilet NOW."  So he was standing quietly, stopped his playing.  I thought surely I was doomed to clean poop off the floor.  I asked if he was pooping.  And his answer?

"I want to just make some ducks and not poop."

OK, kiddo.  I like that plan.  Ducks (the Norman term for fart) are fine.  Poopy on the floor?  Not so much.

Dex got a hair cut today.  Bangs are a little crooked, I know.  But behavior-wise this was BY FAR the best hair cut experience to date.  The promise of a lollipop after, if he didn't cry and whine, did wonders...

Dex requested football after dinner, which these days is hard to come by.  But we  happened to still have the Sugar Bowl on Tivo, so Dex watched that.  I was rooting for maroon.  Daddy was rooting for maroon.  Dex was rooting for RAMOON.  Go, Hokies, go!

No comments: