Thursday, October 27, 2011

Feeling Fall-ish

I know, I KNOW, grandmas.  I haven't posted pictures of your cute boy in a while.  Dude - I've been busy.  I'm still trying to catch up after Fair Hill.  Hell, I am still trying to FINISH Fair Hill.  I just posted THIS tonight, after finally editing and uploading all the pictures I took that weekend.

And then right after Fair Hill ended I went BAM full throttle in to editing, sorting, and culling some 700 photos of my cute sister, in order to make a video to show at her surprise 40th birthday party.  And then packed all our crap for that and loaded the fam in to the car last weekend for a quick trip to New York.  Which was fun, and would have been even more fun if Dexter hadn't had a cold, thus inhibiting his ability to sleep, thus making for a tired, grumpy-ass kid.  He was, fortunately, cute for the 45 minutes he was at Aunt Jeanne's party.  As we were waiting in darkness for Jeanne to come down the stairs so we could surprise her, John was holding back giggles as Dexter was chirping away, "You can turn the lights on!  Aunt Jeanne can come down!  Look at that cool fire place!  You can TURN THE LIGHTS ON!"  Surprise is not exactly his forte.

So this week I am catching up.  And also napping.  And doing laundry.  And making an actual dinner menu for the first time in about a month.  Our CSA is over for the year and I still have a few potatoes, some onions, and about seven trillion peppers of various degrees of hotness to use up.  Holy crap.  There's no way in hell we'd ever do more than a half share.  The veggies I really like and want more of I can just go get from the local Amish guy.  The peppers and the radishes and the turnips I could kind of do without.  Oh, and the fennel.  REALLY could have done without the fennel.

So, here you go grandmas.  Here's what we've been doing for the past couple days.  We went to Longwood on Monday, too.  HERE'S THE LINK to all those photos - there's some cute ones!

Me and the old lady

The morning after at Aunt Jeanne's house.  Dexter was enamored with Jeanne's new kitten, Daryl.

Daryl is one ridiculously cute and patient kitten.  I hope he stays that way once he grows in to a stupid cat.

I don't care how cute you are, kid.  We're NOT getting a goddamn cat.

Yesterday John came home early and we went to go get pumpkins.  We don't have any pictures at the pumpkin patch cuz... yeah.  When you're slackers like us and wait til the week before Halloween to get your pumpkins, on a year when pumpkins didn't fare well... the pumpkin patch is no longer open so you just get to pick your three pumpkins off the ones on display on the side of the driveway.  Not quite as exciting.

Whatcha doing, Daddy?

Dexter is an excellent gut scooper

Cute Daddy

Boys busy scooping guts.  We had a whole lotta guts.  We also roasted pumpkin seeds last night, in butter and salt.  Pretty damn tasty.  I always wish, though, that pumpkin seeds didn't make me feel like I was chewing on a tree.

Dex is checking out Daddy's carving skills so he can do it by himself next year.

End product.  We stole the cookie cutter idea from Aunt Jeanne.  Although we were obviously way more prepared to make a Christmas Jack-o-lantern than a Halloween one...

Love this one

And here's mine.  Goooooooo, Hokies, go!  PS - our friend Tony went to a wedding in the Burg a few weeks ago.  He went to a little school.  He was...  a little confused and overwhelmed by the amount of Hokie spirit down there.

Here's Dex working on his pumpkin (video)

Here he is having fun with the candle (video)

Dex gives you a little pumpkin run-down (video)

We did a little trial run of Dexter's costume.  He was, obviously, thrilled.

See?  Psyched.  (video)

Here's the head that Dexter will very likely never ever wear

Today we went to a Halloween parade at the local nursing home.  Here's a room full of totally thrilled children.

Hey, Dex, did you have fun at the Halloween parade?  YES.  What was your favorite part?  THE FISH.

During a break in the rain today we got out for a bike ride.  I used to complain that Dexter was SO SLOW. Now I am speed walking to keep up.

Little man got in trouble, though, and had to get off his bike and walk home.


And here's some video of the biker boy.  He's looking way less like a drunken Aunt Jeanne these days...

No comments: