Friday, February 4, 2011

Things That Make Life Good

1) This recipe for black bean soup. I've made it like three times in the past month. It's that good. I just made it, just now, to cook all day tomorrow and have for dinner tomorrow night. It sounded like a good "we're having another day of goddamn wintry mix or cold, cold rain" kind of dinner. Also, something I just discovered was amazing - the little food processor attachment for my blender. I haven't used it in about 10 years. But DUDE - it chopped up some veggies in 3 seconds FLAT. Love it.

2) This vacuum cleaner. Yeah, I know, right? You're all "Who is this domesticated person, and what did she do to Alissa?" I didn't think it was possible to love a vacuum cleaner. But this one? SUCKS. A LOT. The brush attachment about sucks your hand off. It's heavy as hell, but it's awesome and it's quiet and the brushes actually STAY ON the vacuum cleaner when you're not using them, and it sucks up dog hair on the floor like it's nobody's business and OMG I think I might love it. Dexter, on the other hand, hates its everloving guts. He spent the entire time I was vacuuming tucked away in the blue room pretending to play with toys, while really he was crying and shouting "all done" the entire time. I think. I couldn't really hear him.
3) The goddamned dog. This one's a double-edged sword. He's awesome because he will happily gallop around the house in circles, making the small child giggle hysterically. He will obediently jump in to the swimming pool in the basement, filled with four balls, Mama, and Dexter, when there's really not room to add a small dog to the mix. He will cheerfully romp around the box in the basement, poking his head through the window, sitting on my lap when asked. He will run through the tunnels in the basement, and will hang out in them chewing on his bone or lord knows what else he has found in the basement. And yet? He will somehow end up inside the neighbor's fenced yard, sniffing lord knows what from the recently unearthed septic system (hopefully that means we might have a new neighbor moving in soon!). He will run by a plastic ball from the ball popper and will quick as a flash pick it up and commence eating it if not stopped immediately. And. AND. He makes the child sick. Damn it. Allergy testing on Tuesday confirmed that Dex is allergic to dogs and cats. And, likely, horses. Guess what's in our house? 15 year old carpet filled with cat pee and dog hair. A horse farm in the back yard. And a black dog. Who the child loves. Or at least loves to laugh at.
4) A kick-ass husband. A husband who stayed home from work on Tuesday to drive us to the allergist on the icy roads. A husband who bought a kerosene heater on Monday in preparation for the impending FORECAST OF DOOM ice storm of the century that kind of turned out to be nothing. But, hey! I am prepared for Saturday's ice storm now! The husband who will climb in to a tent, wear a toddler sized bike helmet on his head, watch the Gookie video on his computer seven billion times, and endlessly draw cars and train crossings on the white board and the Magnadoodle. The husband who left us for 36 hours for a much-deserved day and night out with the boys. I missed him at 6:30 this morning. I missed him at bed time tonight. I'm gonna miss him again at 6:30 tomorrow morning. When Dex woke up in the middle of the night last night (he has a cold, and breathing is not his forte right now), I went in to pick him up. And he called out for Daddy. Who popped out of bed and came right in to give him a hug. He's a good dad.
5) A new "bring a friend" tooth brushing routine. I had no idea this one was going to work. But on Monday morning our usual tooth brushing struggle was turned 100% delightful by the presence of a ball. Who also got his teeth brushed. The next day it was his green cup. The next day I think it was his new pillow. Today we brushed Clifford the Big Red Dog's teeth. Or, at least, brushed his picture on a DVD cover. And we also showed Clifford how awesome and perfect you could be while having Nasonex shot up your nose. I? Am shocked. SHOCKED that this shit works. But, hey. I can pretend to brush a pillow's teeth with the best of em.

6) Empty boxes. These guys watched Clifford the Bog Red Dog from the box today. All of them. It's kind of a tight fit, but Dex seemed to make it work.
7) Toss-up here. These paint by number books I think are probably designed for larger people who can handle smaller brushes. And not really for toddler beginner brushes that load about a gallon of water on to them with each dip. This book was shot after 30 minutes of "painting." It's in the recycle bin. But the paint cups and the paint brushes? Kick some serious ass.
8) This bad boy, that I am getting ready to go snuggle with in a few minutes. It's hotter than hell - I wake up sweating. It's big enough for the bed. It doesn't seem to make the child cough and sneeze. When the duvet cover (which cost as much as the damn comforter) arrives next week, it shall be easily washable. Which the old comforter? Was decidedly not. And, hello? $35! For a KING SIZE alternative down comforter! Lovin it!

Extraneous pictures of one thing that makes life extra good:

No comments: