Monday, October 4, 2010

Sock Hand/Containing the Beast

PART 1: Sock Hand

Sunday we noticed a... blister? Blood blister? Random stray tooth that decided to grow on a finger instead of in a mouth? Something. On Dexter's right index finger. Which is, of course, in his mouth 23 out of 24 hours a day. My feeling is that he's getting some molars in right now, so perhaps that finger has changed positions in his mouth, thus causing the blister thingy. Either that or something bit him. Like, maybe, Dexter.

Regardless, it was infected and swollen and sore and pretty well untouchable and he woke up mid-way from his nap sobbing and wouldn't go back to sleep.

So we called the doctor Monday for some advice, and she said to put some neosporin on it and wrap it in something that is big and bulky and prevents him from sucking his finger. And, you know, give her a shout back if his finger falls off. Or something.

May we therefore introduce...
SOCK! HAND!

It took a bit of convincing that Sock Hand was actually cool and fun and MAN did Mom and Dad wish they could have cool Sock Hands, too. But then John played a fun game of SOCK!! HAND!! during his diaper change (it's pretty similar to SOCKS! and BLANKET MONSTERS!, and it makes the small child giggle uncontrollably) and all was right with the world. He fell asleep with a bit of fussing and whining, but the sock was still on, and it lasted through the night. He still has a finger this morning. And it seems a simple bandaid prevents finger sucking during awake hours.

PART 2: Containing the Beast

Dexter has done about an hour of "Independent Play" a day, in his pack-n-play, for a long time. Happily. You can tell him we're going upstairs to play in the blue room (the guest room where the P-N-P was set up) and he'd happily trot upstairs, turn on the radio, and be ready to roll.

John thought a few weeks ago that Dex might be close to climbing out of the P-N-P, as he was standing on his blocks and was almost out. Then Friday Dex had two pillows in the P-N-P with him (so he could "sleep" - he pulls them in there off the bed). And I heard him crying. It started out as a "dude, I just threw my toy out and now I can't reach it" kind of cry. But it kept going and got louder. So I checked.

And there he was. Stuck. Between the bed and the P-N-P. In a standing position. But stuck. I tried for a bit to pull him out, to no avail. And then my dumb blonde brain FINALLY figured out that, hey! The bed has wheels on it! How about you just MOVE THE BED, dumbass?

So. Saturday. In the P-N-P. No pillows in sight (distressing for the small child). Blue room door closed. About 20 minutes in to independent play time I was in Dexter's room doing something, and I heard the blue room door knob turning. And saw the shadow of small child legs under the door. ESCAPED! I went back in, put him back in his P-N-P, told him that play time wasn't over, and left again. Went downstairs.

And a few minutes later I heard the pitter-patter of little feet above me. There was never any huge crash, so he escaped gracefully. But escape he did. Twice.

So we had to make a change. John quick bolted the book shelves in to the wall. I quick moved the baby monitor some place high, and put outlets covers on the outlets. We quick found a baby gate in the basement and put it up in his doorway. And independent play in the P-N-P has magically transformed to independent play in his room. Which I thought might come with some protest. Or some room demolition. But no. Not really. Aside from some rolling and banging of the Diaper Genie on the floor, things went pretty well unscathed. And Dex played happily for an hour Monday. I went in after play time was over to find him quietly doing this:
Our little man. Growing up. He can just about reach all the light switches now (I am finding out as the kitchen light suddenly turns off while I am cooking dinner). He can, on occasion, open a door. He can walk up the stairs all by himself, holding on to the railing. He tries to walk DOWN the stairs in the same manner but Mom freaks out and yells and tells him to TURN AROUND RIGHT THIS INSTANT.
He also, like just this week, figured out how to ride his bike FORWARD, and not just backward.
And he'd also like Mom to draw another "saaahh," please. Thankyouverymuch.

No comments: