I wonder if everyone feels as silly as I did, calling my OBGYN. Hi, this is Alissa, I just took a home pregnancy test and it came up positive. Now what do I do?
What you do is go in for an hour to meet with a midwife. Should I bring my husband? If he wants to come. But he doesn't have to. He decided he'd be the kick-ass hubby he is, and he'd come.
The visit consisted of: step on the scale (ouch), pee in a cup, answer billions of questions, get handed a book about pregnancy and a flier about some testing that I think we decided to do but I can't for the life of me remember what it's for, and have a pap smear. John buried his nose deep in People magazine for that. Poor boy. Oh, and get a due date. January 23, she says. Yeah, yeah. I already know. I have a calendar, and I can count to 40. Sometimes.
I was hoping for a heartbeat. Another pregnancy test that said "yes, indeed, you are pregnant and you don't just feel like crap for nothing." Something that would make me know that there's a little person growing inside of me. Because it still feels not real. But, I guess 8 weeks along is too early for that. We'll just have to wait!
I also got to have billions of vials (ok, three) of blood drawn at the local LabCorp. Note to self - don't go during lunch time. I did get to take a little nap while waiting for my name to be called, though, so that was a bonus. So we'll see if my blood says I am borderline anemic, which is a worry right now - I've been borderline before. And no, Dave Telesco, I have not been taking my iron supplements. Nor have I been eating red meat. Cow does not seem to appeal to me right now.
Next appointment: July 17. On tap for that day - heart beat. I think. So, finally, the confirmation I've been waiting for! And if all goes well with that, then it'll be time to start spreading the news!
No comments:
Post a Comment