Dear Erin,
Almost a month ago you turned three years old. And I am just now getting around to writing to you about your three-year-old self. I apologize, my Fair Hill baby. I am afraid your birthday is always going to be a hectic affair for me. And I am most grateful that you have wonderful grandparents and aunts who will come hang out with you for your birthday, when I am unable to do so.
Aunt Jeanne came down the weekend before your birthday and we had fun taking her to Dansko to buy some shoes, and to Cherry Crest Adventure Farm for a day of fun. Aunt Jeanne helped us put up Halloween decorations on Sunday morning. And then Sunday afternoon we all went to Nichol Park for a little birthday party for you, with your Godzilla Princess birthday cake. When I told you what a Godzilla actually was, you said "No, Mama, I don't want a monster on my cake. Just a princess." So we settled for a picture of a kid stomping on a sand castle. And, strangely enough, you have not called yourself Godzilla Princess since that day. Anyway - Grandma and Grandpa joined us at the park for cake and bike riding, and then we headed home for dinner and presents. Grandma and Grandpa went to Longwood with us on Monday, and then out to lunch. And Grandma joined your preschool class at Lytles Pumpkin Patch on your birthday, for a very special preschool field trip that included a hay ride and picking your own pumpkin.
I just looked back at 2014 to see what I wrote about you for your second birthday. Aaaaand - I sucked last year, too. Nothing. I wrote nothing. I am sorry, little one.
I have a hard time picturing you as anything other than your strong-willed, independent self. Who, ironically, also LOVES helping with things around the house. So long as it is your idea. So I am not sure how much you have changed over the course of a year. You are talking a ton, but you always did that. You are walking and running and jumping, but you always did that. You are trying to do everything your big brother does, but you always did that.
![]() |
| Jumping in to leaves. That's a new skill for you. |
can express how you are feeling, and tell me what is wrong, and tell me WHY you are feeling a certain way. Last month you told me you had an ear ache. I was floored. Three year olds (you weren't even three yet, but close) can notice those things? And can TELL ME? Amazing! It was amazing. I know you learn a lot of things from Dexter, and know a lot more about emotions and how to express emotions the right way, because we talk about that so much with Dexter. So I expect you are ahead of the eight ball there, when it comes to emotions and empathy and knowing what is right and wrong. But your brother - he's not really capable of telling me how his body is feeling. I don't think HE knows how his body is feeling. So for you to know, and to be able to tell me those things - it really was an incredible thing.
A week or so after you turned three you stopped wearing a diaper, and started peeing on the potty. Like most things in your life, you have done awesome with this, so long as it's on your own terms. If I ask you to go potty, inevitably nothing will come out. But you know your body, and you know when you have to pee. So when it's your idea, all is well. M&M's help, too. You've had remarkably few accidents, and I pretty much have forgotten to even worry about you having any accidents. Well done, kiddo.
Next on the horizon is moving you to a big girl bed. I would happily keep you smooshed in your crib forever (you sleep sideways instead of long-ways, so space is really not a issue. There's an entire half of a crib that is totally empty - we could rent it out to another baby) but you have asked for a big kid bed. Which is no problem. Except that we have always intended on moving you to the green room when you have a big kid bed, so you have more space. When I first floated that idea, you were not so psyched. But after a few days you have warmed up to it. So we're slowly working on a big kid room and a big kid bed for you. Maybe over Thanksgiving we will make the move. We need to install a closet organizer in there first. And get some new blinds. And curtains. But everything else is ready, it's just a matter of moving you over.
What else have you been doing? School. You love school. We had teacher conferences last week, and your teacher said you're great. You play well with all the kids. You play with all the toys. You've got a couple boys who you play great with on the playground. You will do the crafty stuff, but you don't really like getting messy. And you like showing your friends how to do things the right way. Need to know how to sit criss-cross-applesauce? Just look at Erin. She'll set a good example.
| TOOOOOTALLY not setting a good example at the school Halloween parade |
Also in the "big kid" spirit, you've lost the booster seat at the table. Oh, it still is sitting on the floor, ready to be called in to service at a moment's notice. But so far, so good - you've been booster free for several days.
You go to the doctor on Friday for your three year well visit, so we can see how ridiculously huge you have actually become. I've already pulled most of the 3T clothing out of your drawers and given it away, and have re-stocked with 4T.
You love to sing. You dance to the obnoxious Elmo doll that Aunt Kathy gave Dexter many years ago (damn you, Aunt Kathy). You know the names to most of the songs we listen to in the car, and you know a vast majority of the words.
Happy Birthday, Erin. You are awesome.
Love,
Mama





No comments:
Post a Comment