Sunday, December 8, 2013

Snow Day. And Also Teeth.

The weather dudes said today to expect a little bit of snow, starting late afternoon, early evening.  Cool, we thought.  We can go to the MOMS Club holiday party at 4 and still get home before there's too much snow.  And then we looked out the window at 10AM.  And it was snowing.  And it kept snowing.  And kept snowing.  And kept snowing.  I think it's stopped for now, but we're expecting a "wintry mix" tonight before it all changes to rain.  John was totally counting on a couple inches of snow, that would then be washed away by the rain, and he didn't shovel at all.  I don't think anyone was really expecting this:
John thought it was at least 6 inches of snow.  I told him I thought he was full of crap.  So he went out to measure.  6.5 inches on the table on the deck.

So the MOMS holiday party was cancelled.  We ate the mac and cheese I made for it for dinner, along with some meatballs that someone brought over for me to take to the party for them.  We've got beer.  We still have power.  We have a new TV, and the snowy football games have been entertaining to watch today.  The kids played in the basement for a long time, and Dex was tired out this afternoon so he went up for rest time during Erin's afternoon nap.  What made him so tired, you ask?
A good afternoon sledding session, down the hill to the neighbor's driveway. We figure it's safer for Dex to crash in to Mr. Mike's garage than it is for him to sled down our hill in to the road.  Snow play tires a kid out.  As John put it, "He had to walk up that hill a good two times."  (he went DOWN it many many more times, but usually John pulled him back up on the sled)

We also had to make some ginger boys this morning to take to a cookie exchange on Tuesday.  Dad's recipe says a single batch makes 2 - 3 dozen cookies.  Apparently not in the Norman household.  I made a double batch and I think I have about 2.5 dozen ready to take.  I am supposed to take 3 dozen.  Guess what we're doing again on Monday morning?
Why yes.  Yes that IS a picture of both children shoving nice warm cookie dough in to their mouths...

So it's been quite a day.  Made even more exciting by Erin, the grumpy baby.  Grumpy because she's got about 17 teeth trying to poke through her gums right now.  She had 2.5 teeth for at least 2 months.  Then over Thanksgiving, some time when she was puking, she cut one of her top left teeth.  And then this week she cut her top front tooth, on the right.  The one on the left isn't through yet, I don't think.  But it's right there.  So she's not eating a whole lot, and if someone isn't paying attention to her all the time, she's pretty much just a crying puddle of grumpiness.  It's good fun.
Who, ME?  Grumpy?  I can't even imagine.

Please to be enjoying a few million more photos.  And I'll put a link to a video at the very end.  It's an unedited video - Dex likes to see ALL the video, and I made this one for him.  So please pardon the terrible videography.  It's hard holding the camera, trying to zoom, while holding a baby in one arm.

Still-pajama'd Cookie Monster.  He goes with an "Eat 2, cook 1" philosophy.

Yeah, this one wasn't any better.  She required ALL THE DOUGH to be in her mouth at all times, lest there be screaming.

She does now, very cutely, take pretend cookies out of the doll house oven and feed them to me.

Early on in the snow, Dex put on some boots and ran around on the deck so he could see his footprints.

Catching snowflakes

Hmmmm.  I think that there dump truck is still on the deck, in that exact same location, except completely covered in snow.

Post-lunch, pre-sledding dancing.  We thought some Christmas music would be appropriate.  Dexter thought dancing with his stocking would be appropriate.

The boy's got some moves.  Or something.  He's got something.

Erin's fancy.  She gets to dance on the couch.

Kids were all dressed and ready for a holiday party.  Ah, well.  Guess we'll go play in the snow instead.

At the bottom of Mr. Mike's hill.  Dex ROCKED the sledding this year.  He was super awesome.

Snow angel

Erin was unimpressed, mostly.  She watched Dexter sled.  She went for a couple rides down the hill with Daddy and with me.  She didn't scream during the ride, but screamed before and after.  Cuz, DUDE, don't you dare put me down in that white stuff!

Two hour delay for school tomorrow, so far.  We'll see if that changes.  A delay doesn't affect Dexter's life at all.  Hooray for afternoon preschool!

And HERE'S THE VIDEO of Dexter sledding.  Enjoy!

No comments: