Thursday, October 31, 2013

Going Green for Halloween

Yesterday (the day before Halloween) it was cloudy.  And rainy.  And I woke up and looked out the window and said "Thank you, Mother Nature."  Which is probably the same thing Dexter's swim teacher said.  Bless her heart, she looks outside every Wednesday to see if the sun is shining.  And celebrates when it's not.  Her husband thinks she's crazy.

Sun spots.  Damn those wiggly sun spots that reflect off the pool water and on to the wall and the ceiling, thus rendering my sensitive little boy utterly useless during his swim lesson.  Go in the deep end?  No way in hell, Ms Dana.  The sun spots might get me.  Go down the slide?  No thanks.  I might land in a sun spot.

But yesterday was cloudy.  No sun spots at all.  It was an awesome awesome day for a green band swim test.  Dex had to tread water for 1 minute and swim the length of the pool to get his green band (which means now he can swim anywhere in the pool, by himself, and he can go down the slide whenever he wants to).  And he did it, no problem at all.  So easy!  When there's no sun spots.

So now Dex is wearing his green wrist band.  Still, today.  I'm so proud of him.  He's awesome.


That pumpkin behind him is what he and Daddy carved yesterday morning.  We did three pumpkins, actually.  And Dex drew the faces for the two face pumpkins all by himself.  He almost carved them all by himself, too, but John freaked out a bit when Dex plunged a steak knife in to his pumpkin...



On Tuesday we went Trunk or Treating with the MOMS Club.  I didn't decorate our trunk, so I plopped Erin in there.  Instant decoration!  Here she is pilfering the candy bowl.

I found a Thomas costume for Dex this year, and it is PERFECT.  Slides easily over his head.  Looks cool.  People like it and say "Hey, look, it's Thomas!"  And that makes him smile.  For the first time ever he is excited about wearing a costume to go trick or treating.  It's pretty cool.  I think we're gonna need umbrellas tonight, but on Tuesday night the weather was perfect.
(He chose to use his plastic pumpkin, Grandpa, so we used your bag for decoration)
After about 5 cars Dex declared himself done, removed his costume, and ate some candy.  He swears he's going to go to 86 houses tonight.  My guess is it will be more like 8.


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments: