Dexter's little friend, Bear, died last night. He was four. He had been in the hospital for a little over a week with unexplained brain swelling. The doctors never figured out what was causing the swelling, and were never able to get it under control.
I haven't told Dexter yet. He knows that Bear was sick and in the hospital. We made him a get well card and a "Wake up, Bear!" video yesterday. We were in the middle of buying his family a gift this morning when I got a phone call from a friend, telling me he had passed away. And I couldn't tell him. I just... don't know how. How do you tell a four year old that his four year old friend has died? Without scaring the crap out of him?
After two days of frustration with Dexter, though, I definitely found myself softening a lot today. "Mama, can I have a hug?" he asks, dripping wet after swimming lessons. Well, yes. Yes you can, sweet boy. Because sometimes four year old boys go to the hospital and they don't come home. So, tell you what. How about you have a hug. Or ten. Or maybe I just don't ever let go.
 |
| Bear, November 2010 |
 |
| Bear getting ready to jump off the stump. April 2012 |
 |
| Bear holding on to Dexter's hand. April 2012 |
 |
| Bear riding his Strider bike in DC, with cherry blossoms over his head. March 2011 |
No comments:
Post a Comment