Friday, November 30, 2012

A Whole Lotta Firsts

Holy hell, has this ever been a day.  And I still have Girlie Movie Night to go to tonight.  With the baby.

Sometimes, even when you don't think you can do something and you are sure it's going to go horribly, you have to just do it.  And, surprise!  Your kids are actually far more awesome that you thought.

A very very kind gentleman I used to work with at MHBA died this week.  His funeral was today.  At a Catholic church.  In Baltimore.  And John had to work.  And I had 2 kids with me.  And somehow we all survived.  Some firsts for us:

First time using our new Garmin GPS.  Love it, love it, love it way more than our old TomTom.

First time nursing a baby in a church.  I strolled in to the church, was busy trying to settle Dex, who was freaked out by the massive number of people milling around.  And eventually found a priest, asked him where I could nurse a baby.  I think we ended up in the Sacrament room?  I haven't the slightest idea what happens in there.  Is that where the bread and the wine is stored?  I promise I didn't leave a poopy diaper in the garbage can in there.

First Catholic mass for both kids.  First time in a church for both kids. Dex went to a memorial service at a fairly unconventional church last summer.  Hell, what's that place called?  I blogged about it, and said I wanted a service like that.  But I can't remember what the church is called...  Anyway - Dex spent the entire time watching his train video (with the sound turned off) on his IPad.  And God didn't even strike the church with lightening or anything for our irreverence.  Dude - it kept him quiet.  And the baby slept most of the time in my Ergo carrier.  I had to stand for most of mass to keep her asleep, but God didn't shoot lightening at us for that, either.  Thanks for the lenience, there, big man.  It was actually a lovely service, as far as Catholic masses go.  The singer was excellent, and the priest spoke fondly of my friend (who was 94 when he died, and had been a faithful member of that church for more than 80 years).

First time I've been in a catholic church and did NOT go for communion.  I tried.  But we were in the hallway with the baby for a few minutes and by the time I got back inside it was done.  They're fast in that church.

First time nursing a baby in a Wendy's fast food place.  Yeah.  We're high class.

First time using a cover when nursing this baby.  I usually don't give a damn who sees me nursing and who might catch a glimpse of boob.  But the clientele in the Wendy's in Baltimore seemed like they might appreciate a cover.

First time dropping a french fry on a nursing baby...  Ooops!

We all survived and made it home in one piece, with not too much crying.  We even made a Bomboy's detour, because Mama needed some chocolate after this day.

Erin, by the way, had her first bottle last night.  I think she was mildly unimpressed.  She did eventually drink some.  I was hoping that bottle feeding would go way faster than nursing her at 10PM.  But, no.  Not so much.  That child sleeps like the dead, man.  It's impossible to wake her up enough to get her to eat.  With a little luck she'll be sleeping from that feeding through til 7:30 AM in a few weeks.  She's making it to 5AM now, usually.

Here's a picture of the kids in front of the wrapping paper they painted yesterday.  Dex did all the hard work.  Erin just added some footprints.


No comments: