Monday, September 24, 2012

Funnier and Funnier

This child, man.  The things he remembers continually amaze me.  Events that have slipped my mind ages ago, he still brings up and remembers clear as day.  Things I never thought had any impact on him clearly did.  He has memorized how to read a ton of words.  Sounding things out is not his forte, but if you tell him what a word is, chances are he will not forget it.

But the thing that has been KILLING us recently is how goddamn funny he is.  Mostly without even meaning to be funny.

Sunday morning he and Daddy were outside playing.  It was chilly.  John was wearing shorts.  John said something about being cold, and for the rest of the morning Dex called him "Cold Guy."  Throw your ball, Cold Guy.  Play catch with Mama, Cold Guy.

He's got some new stock sayings:  "Oh, MAN!"  "Ooooh, yummy!"  Or any time I tell him what we're doing, or what we're eating, "Ooooooh, eggs!"  His typical "SURE!"  Pretty much any stock phrase I might say is guaranteed to come out of his mouth these days.  He's a mini-Mama sometimes.  With some Daddy-isms thrown in there, too, like when you ask him to do something and he says "Hold ON!"

He's learning to tell time on a real clock - I think today he got 5:30 pretty well pegged, and now knows that Daddy will be home at 5:30.  And Daddy had better not be late, because damn if the boy doesn't know what 5:30 looks like on the clock.  He also knows 12 noon, because that's when his bus comes.

In other fantastic milestones, I think we've finally gotten him to put his own shirt on without freaking out.  He still can't take a shirt OFF, but hey.  We'll take it.  This morning I left his clothes on his bed and went in to my room to get dressed.  He came wandering in to my room with pants, underwear, backwards short sleeve shirt, backwards long sleeve shirt.  I was so damn proud of him for putting both shirts ON that I didn't have the heart to tell him they were backwards.  So he wore backwards shirts all day.  His teacher asked him if he dressed himself...  :-)

Finally, Soccer Shots started a couple weeks ago.  This class is much more up his alley than the spring class, as it's Dex and a bunch of other 3 and 4 year old boys.  Who don't listen.  So Dex and this one bored little 5 year old girl look like stellar fantastic brown-nosing rule followers, while the rest of the boys are usually off in a corner wrestling with each other.  It's awesome.

Actually, one of the hardest parts of soccer is convincing Dex to actually PLAY SOCCER, instead of playing on the playground

I do believe he's actually supposed to be doing this.  Rule follower.

No comments: