Friday, September 17, 2010

Adding to the Family

We've had a wonderful 19 months with Dexter in our little family. It's been great. We've loved almost every minute of it, and the sucky minutes we have essentially blocked out of memory. Had I not written about those things in this here blog, I would look back fondly on the first three months of Dexter's life, thinking that everything was all cuddles and bonding and cooing and lots of sleep at night and unicorns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow and crap like that.

And yet, the past few months I've been feeling like something is missing. Some little piece of our family was missing. We needed more. Another child. Another being to laugh at, talk to, bond with, care for.

And so, it is with much excitement that we announce that we are adding to our family!

Please meet Buddy:
He's a two year old Pound Puppy:
He appears to be a small Lab head plopped on a Dachshund body. The rescue (Paws For Life in Chesapeake City) called him a Spaniel mix.
He is sweet and quiet. A guard dog, he is not. He is perfectly content to lie in the yard and watch the horses while Dex and I play with balls in the garage. He is perfectly content to lie directly under Dexter's swing while I push him. He is perfectly content to sleep on the bathroom floor all night long. He is perfectly content to eat the Cheerios off the floor, thus resulting in FAR less sweeping for me.
Dexter calls him "Potty." Well, ok. Dexter doesn't "call" him anything. But when Buddy walks in to the room, or someone mentions Buddy's name, Dex signs "Potty." Lord knows why. But he seems to think Buddy is A-ok. Buddy has no interest in stealing his balls, so I think they will get on famously...
Pleased to meet you, Buddy. Hope you stick around for a while.

6 comments:

Amy Bucher said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He's absolutely adorable! What a perfect "Buddy" for Dex!

Mazel to you all...

Amy

Amy Bucher said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He's absolutely adorable! What a perfect "Buddy" for Dex!

Mazel to you all...

Amy

Anonymous said...

Yeah! :) That is so great. congrats!!! I can't wait to meet him. :)

carin said...

oops i was the anonymous! i clicked too fast, hehehe. Love you Alissa!

Carin

Rebecca, Dave, and Joey said...

You seem to be on a roll with picking calm, cool, and collected dogs that like to be couch potatoes...good for you! Very cute look, we're very happy for you all.

Dave

Unknown said...

YAY! He is adorable!!!