Since March Daddy and I have been waging a small battle on your behalf, mostly invisible to you. Which is perhaps the wrong approach, because you've got a new interest in war and battles, so this battle may well have been interesting to you. Or maybe not, because it involved a lot of writing. Which is perhaps not the kind of battle you want to participate in.
So Daddy and I worked together, with the help of our awesome friend Ms Carin and some very useful websites, to voice our concerns, legally, in your IEP, where your teachers would have to have an answer for each concern. Your teachers stepped up last spring and created a really excellent IEP that covered your needs and told who you were as a student.
I didn't realize how much I'd been holding my breath, and mentally preparing my next fight, until we got the evaluation report yesterday. And now, finally now, I can breathe again. YES to an OT consult, for your sensory issues. YES to Speech Therapy, where they are working on some minor pronunciation things but also working on communication skills and how to talk appropriately to peers. YES to Social Skills, where you bring home excellent social knowledge and sometimes even remember to apply it to real social situations. YES to Friendship Group, where you can work on those social skills with neurotypical peers. And, finally, YES YES YES to Gifted Services. When your new IEP goes in to place in December some time, you will begin to be pulled a few times a week to work in small groups, on projects that will interest you. So so very perfect for you.
Daddy and I have certainly not been alone in this process. You've been a big part of it - you've been pulled out of class multiple times for testing. You've been observed. You've had feedback meetings. People are in your room frequently, watching you and taking data on your every move. You're under a microscope all the time at school, and I imagine that can be stressful. We're grateful that you've been able to deal with all the disruptions as well as you have.
Will Daddy and I continue to worry about you, and continue to prepare for battle? Absolutely. Constant Vigilance. But I do think that maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to breathe for a little bit.
Love you lots,
Mama
PS - for a good month now you've been calling me Mom, and Daddy Dad. You've made the transition fairly seamlessly. Me? Not so much. I can't get used to it. I'm trying. But it's so very odd to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment