Yesterday after I ran, Erin was in the driveway poking at the dirt with a stick. And then she said "Look, Mama! Ants!" And lo and behold she had poked her stick right in to an ant hill (we have zillions of them). The ants were, rightfully, pissed. So we looked at them for a while, and watched them moving dirt and sticks, and Erin smooshed a few with her shoe and decided she only likes ONE ant, not lots of ants.
I continued stretching until I heard "Oh, dear, Mama - I have ants on my SHOE!" And she did. On her shoe. In her shoe. On her leg. It was fine, I brushed them off and cleaned out her shoes. And then she decided she'd had too much nature for the day and she wanted to play inside. We double checked her shoes to be sure that she wasn't bringing any ants inside, because it makes Daddy mad when ants get in the house, because then they eat the food on our kitchen counter.
And then Erin said - I don't want to get ants in the house, and have them eat all our food. Because then we wouldn't have any food to eat. And then we would die. And I don't want to die, Mama. I want to be a grown-up. So I don't want any ants to get in the house.
So there you have it. Ant logic. From the three year old.
Today during snack I asked Erin what she wanted for dinner (we settled on our "we're the only people here on Wednesdays so we're having pancakes" Wednesday standard). Dexter chimed in his choice and then I reminded him he wasn't having dinner at home because he had basketball practice.
And he said: I am imagining having a conversation with Daddy. At the best restaurant in the entire Universe. McDonalds.
That's high praise, right there. Because for Dex, it's not just a saying. It's FACT - he truly believes McDonalds in the best restaurant in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE.
Dexter has exactly THREE more days of First Grade, and then we're filling up our days with camp and swimming and some more swimming and holy crap that's a lot of swim team practice...




No comments:
Post a Comment