Basketball is a sport near and dear to John and my hearts. Dexter surprised us by asking to play back in January. John surprised us by volunteering to coach the team. This is their second session of basketball - this session is a co-ed team, and the girls are WAAAAAY better than most of the boys. Dexter comes home saying how much fun he had. John mostly comes home tired, and a little frustrated, because there's so much to teach these kids, and you just can't do it in one, one hour practice a week. But the kids are having fun, and the parents are appreciative and nice, and so I think it's working out ok. Here's a video from basketball today.
Dexter is swimming now, too - Spring Clinic for swim team started a few weeks ago, and summer swim team kicks in to high gear after school is over, with practice FIVE DAYS A WEEK. I am not sure I am ready for that sort of commitment, to tell you the truth.
Speaking of swimming, Erin learned how to swim on her own a little over a month ago. She no longer uses a back pack during her swim lessons, and she's been fetching diving sticks off the bottom of the (very shallow) pool for the last few weeks before and after her swim lessons. She's looking forward to the outdoor pool opening at the YMCA, although I am positive she will think the water is "too cold."
Erin has been team sporting, as well. She did eight weeks of Soccer Shots at school and loooooooved it. She is a tremendous cheater who will happily pick up her soccer ball and run down the field to place it where she wants it to be (here's a link to a little video that shows just that). She is also an excellent listener who does what she is supposed to do, with no drama. Which means she kind of fades back in to "the noise" in a class of 20 mildly rotten preschoolers - I don't think her coaches ever knew her name, which made Erin a little bit sad.
Grown-ups like sporting, too. Besides basketball coaching, John has been shooting guns at clays. I have no pictures of his doing this, as I've not been with him at the gun club. I believe John is on the "this frustrates the hell out of me" side of things with the sporting clays. Except when he shoots well, and is all "this is super fun."
I have signed up and paid money for two sprint triathlons this summer, which makes one much more likely to actually exercise. I've been biking as much as I can, running, swimming, and doing my favorite cross-fit class just to keep things fun. I am mildly terrified.
So that's us. Sporty. It means we can eat more ice cream.






No comments:
Post a Comment