Friday, November 11, 2011

FIT

The class is called FIT 60, but it could more accurately be called DIE 60 or VOMIT 60.  I've been going for about 10 weeks now, twice a week, as it very conveniently falls on the same days and times as Dexter's school at the YMCA.  And at the end of every class I haul my ass out of the gym and drag my red face up the stairs to Dexter's class room and he sees me and smiles and runs over for a hug and touches my shirt dripping wet with sweat and suddenly he doesn't want to hug me any more.

Every evening, after I've had class and I get up off the sofa with a series of "ouch-ouch-ouches" I tell John what we did today.  50 sit-ups, followed by 50 tuck jumps, then 40 of each, then 30, then 20, then 10.  And then follow that with 21 push ups and 21 more sit-ups, with some walking lunges, and do six rounds of that.  He hasn't had the pleasure of listening to me bitch about today's workout where we ran a mile, then did 20 push ups and 20 squats, then ran a half a mile, then push ups and squats, then ran a quarter mile, then push ups and squats, then ran an eighth of a mile, then push ups and squats, then ran ANOTHER F-ING MILE.  Oh my dear sweet jesus.  I do not enjoy running.

And yet every Tuesday and every Friday I am there.  On time.  Water bottle full.  Ready to go.  Hopeful that maybe this time we won't have to run a lot.  Wondering if I'll be able to do whatever is asked.

Why?  Why go through the torture?

I kind of love it, really.  Yes, I groan and roll my eyes and tell Geoff that this shit is worse than basketball practice.  Yes, I bitch when I get home, and yes I am still sore almost every time.  But I LIKE the sore.  I like knowing that I am making my muscles do some work.  I like looking back at my work-out and saying "Yeah.  I did that.  I totally did all that crap and I lived to tell about it."  And I like feeling, after ten weeks, that it's easier to do 20 push ups.  I like knowing that I can now do 50 sit-ups when ten weeks ago there's just no way in hell I could have.  And I like feeling, finally, that I just might be able to run without dying.

In short, I enjoy being FIT.  Vomit and all.


No comments: